Director, Sports Information (Athletics) (EXTENDED)
Riverside Community College District
Athletics and Coaching
Director, Sports Information (Athletics)- Riverside City College
Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed below by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. 11/28/2023
Department: Athletics (R)
Position Type: Classified Management/Supervisor
Physical location of the position: Riverside
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Length: 12-month
Salary Range: Grade P
Salary Amount: $106,359-$129,492
Salary Type: Annual
Is this position categorically (grant) funded? No
Under the supervision of the Athletic Director, develops and disseminates public communication concerning sports information and events to students, staff, faculty, and the community.
Provides supervision to assigned staff, students, and short-term workers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be: Completion of a bachelor's degree from on accredited four-year college or university with major course work in communications, journalism, marketing, English composition, sports information, public relations or a related field. One to five years of journalism experience.
- State mandated functions of the PrestoSports website, including, but not limited to, the uploading of stats to the State CCCAA website through the PrestoSports portal;
- Website content management systems and basic knowledge of HTML;
- Sporting rules and regulations along with statistical collection methodology;
- Game management; running event and marketing events to both the public and college coaches;
- Functions and keystrokes of StatCrew in-game statistical software;
- Principles, practices, and techniques of distributing information for mass media communications, including Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms;
- Modern principles and practices of public relations and sports marketing (print and broadcast), marketing concepts, journalism, and special promotions;
- California Community College Athletic Association and athletic programs and procedures;
- Principles and procedures of record keeping and filing;
- Principles and practices used to establish and maintain files and information retrieval systems; and
- Modern principles of public relations, sports marketing concepts, journalism, and special promotions.
- Create professional copy for publication in newspapers, newsletters, journals, magazines, brochures and broadcast media;
- Operate a personal computer using modern word processing software;
- Operate various digital film equipment; take photos and convert them for use by media, broadcast outlets, and web usage;
- Maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, media representatives, and the general public;
- Train athletic coaches, faculty, staff members, and student athletes on how to deal with various print, digital, and social media;
- Use excellent listening, communication, presentation, and organizational skills;
- Effectively use Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and various forms of social media;
- Demonstrate and use strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, attention to detail, and customer service;
- Write business letters and report reparations;
- Demonstrate basic mathematical principals used in statistical computations.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Candidate must demonstrate clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, staff, and the community.
Faculty, staff, students, administration, the general public, and external agencies.
Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Will require occasional travel.
Employee works in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employee may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES (Illustrative Only):
1. Prepares and distributes athletic contest statistics including team and individual performance statistics: ensures the preparation and maintenance of accurate data sets, photo files, and data for information returned for the athletic department.
2. Plans and supervises the preparation and distribution of athletic publications including sports brochures, program brochures, newsletters, weekly releases, special news spots, game results, and related publications for athletics.
3. Responds to information requests from the public news media, conference offices, CCCAA, NCAA, and other sports information offers; provides accurate and complete information in a timely manner.
4. Manages and solely operates the Athletic Department web page providing content to make this information current and accurate and will keep Riverside City College Athletes social networking pages consistently updated with pertinent information.
5. Professionally represents Riverside City College and Riverside City College Athletics at conference meetings, at California Community College Sports Information Association (CCCSIA) meetings and at other off-site venues.
6. Works in conjunction with other California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) programs that do not have Sports Information Specialists.
7. Serves as a spokesperson for the Athletic Department and develops strong relationships with the media and with the community in an effort to promote Riverside City College Athletics.
8. Provides supervision in the press box, on press row, and at the official scoring table to maintain accuracy and integrity of game management personnel and to provide a non-partisan working environment.
9. Creates and utilizes connections to promote home sporting events, works collaboratively with each individual Athletics program, and otherwise connects to the Riverside City College campus.
10. Attends all home sporting events (extemporaneous circumstances excluded) providing game management support to the Director of Athletics and is primarily responsible for all statistical accumulation at said home events. Provides supervision to game workers and student assistance assigned.
11. Assists Athletic Director in managing Tiger Backer athlete support group and develops/co-ordinates sponsorship and advertising activities for the department.
12. Performs as the point person for regional and state championship events hosted by the college.
13. Helps manage all aspects of the Hall of Fame process which would include nomination, selection and event planning.
14. Performs related duties as assigned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a Classified Management position. Paid vacation, 22 days annually; and paid accruable sick leave, 12 days annually. A pro-rata reduction will be made for employees working less than full-time and less than 12 months. The District provides a health and welfare benefit package for employees and legal qualifying dependents.
The work location and assignment within a job classification is determined by the District and may be subject to change.
All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
The Riverside Community College District is an equal opportunity employer and recognizes the need to provide reasonable accommodations to employees with disabilities. For more information, contact (951) 222-8039.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for the District is Ms. Lorraine Jones, located at 3801 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8039.
Work Hours/Work Days for Classified and Hourly Positions Only:
Required Applicant Documents: Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Optional Applicant Documents: Bachelors or Equivalent Transcript
Effective Employment Date: Anticipated start date: October 2023 or after
Application Deadline: 11-28-2023
Special Comments: IMPORTANT NOTICES:
- It is anticipated that interviews will occur sometime during the 3rd or the 4th week of January.
- An electronic, RCCD on-line application must be completed to be considered. All portions of the application must be entirely filled out with all information qualifying an applicant for the position. Only information on the official RCCD application (not resumes) will be considered to determine whether an applicant meets the minimum requirements for the position for which he/she is applying.
- All supporting materials, required or optional, must also be in electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less than 2 MB in size.
- An application will not be considered complete unless ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS are electronically attached to the application by the Application Deadline date. An incomplete file may subject the candidate to disqualification.
- Paper applications and supporting materials, including letters of recommendation, WILL NOT be accepted! All documents must be submitted electronically with the online application.
- Letters of reference, IF REQUIRED, must be NON-CONFIDENTIAL and submitted electronically when applying on-line.
- Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
- The Riverside Community College District does not require testing at the initial application filing period. As you progress through the selection process, you may be required to perform a job-related test based on the needs of the work area for which you are being considered.
To apply, please visit: https://pa379.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=60923