Assistant Professor - Visual Communications (Graphic Design)
Farmingdale State College invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor faculty position for the NASAD accredited Visual Communications: Art & Graphic Design Department. The graphic design program is seeking an individual with a strong graphic design background and an emphasis on advanced graphic design (including basic web and interaction design), typography and concept development. The successful candidate will join the Visual Communications Department, which encourages a culture for students to learn the value of creativity, imagination, passion, collaboration and social responsibility.
All faculty members at Farmingdale State College have three workload components: teaching; research & scholarly activity (which includes creative and artistic works); and service. The successful candidate(s) will demonstrate an interest and high-level of competence in teaching (teaching modalities include day and evening classes, including online and hybrid formats). Candidates should also have a creative/research agenda that complements their area of academic specialty which will include work in peer-reviewed publications, exhibitions, and presentations. Service includes advising students as well as serving on departmental and college-wide committees. All three components are necessary for promotion and tenure at Farmingdale State College.
The college particularly welcomes candidates with knowledge, skills and abilities that include:
- Commitment to diversity and university initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion.
- Interest in participating in student-centered service activities.
- Desire to apply expertise in promoting civic engagement with the College's many community partners.
- A terminal degree (MFA, MDes, DDes, or Ph.D.) in Graphic Design, or equivalent terminal degree in a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution or university with an award date by September 1, 2024.
- The ability to teach in at least two of the following areas: 2-dimensional design, color theory, advanced graphic design, typography, digital imaging, and web design.
- One or more years of college/university level teaching and at least one year of professional practice.
- An ongoing program leading to peer-reviewed/refereed publications or creative works.
This is a 10-month UUP faculty position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Monday, November 20, 2023, and ending Monday, December 4, 2023, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Saturday, February 17, 2024
- SALARY: $75,000 + $3,400 in downstate location pay = $78,400 Total Compensation. Salary may increase commensurate with experience.
- ANTICIPATED START DATE: September 1, 2024
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans.
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Farmingdale State College's commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. At Farmingdale State College, we continue to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status or any other legally protected status.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Interested candidates may apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" link at the top or bottom of this page. The following documents are required for all positions:
- Cover Letter
Additional instructions for faculty positions: Your cover letter must include a statement on teaching philosophy and methodology. Please attach copies of teaching evaluations and an unofficial copy of graduate transcripts (showing highest degree awarded/currently in process). Candidates invited for interviews will be asked to make a presentation on their research/creative activities as well as a separate teaching demonstration.
Only applications made through Farmingdale's electronic application system will be accepted. Once you successfully apply you will receive an email as confirmation and be directed to another page in order to upload additional documents. Returning applicants may login to their Farmingdale State College Careers Account to apply for this position. See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.