Manager of External Affairs & Community Engagement
Job ID: 2023-3446
Division: College of Engineering & Computing Sciences
# of Openings: 1
Position Type: Staff
Type: Regular Full-Time
New York Institute of Technology's six schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs in in-demand disciplines including computer science, data science, and cybersecurity; biology, health professions, and medicine; architecture and design; engineering; IT and digital technologies; management; and energy and sustainability. A nonprofit, independent, private, and nonsectarian institute of higher education founded in 1955, it welcomes nearly 8,000 students worldwide.
The university has campuses in New York City and Long Island, New York; Jonesboro, Arkansas; and Vancouver, British Columbia, as well as programs around the world. More than 112,000 alumni are part of an engaged network of physicians, architects, scientists, engineers, business leaders, digital artists, and healthcare professionals. Together, the university's community of doers, makers, healers, and innovators empowers graduates to change the world, solve 21st-century challenges, and reinvent the future.
For more information, visit nyit.edu.
The Manager of External Affairs & Community Engagement (M-EACE) is a full-time member of the College of Engineering and Computing Sciences (CoECS) of New York Institute of Technology and reports directly to the Dean of CoECS. The successful candidate will work with the office of the Dean and staff to expand on the existing relations and partnerships with the government, industry, and other universities, as well as to identify opportunities and create new ones. The M-EACE will be responsible for expanding the global exchange and study abroad programs within the CoECS. The M-EACE will be expected to initiate proposals to foundations and other funding organizations for sponsorship of various CoECS outreach initiatives. The M-EACE will also take responsibility for various annual events and conferences that CoECS hosts.
With respect to Community Engagement, The M-EACE is expected to participate in and initiate recruitment, retention, and community outreach events and activities, including high schools, community colleges, and other universities. All STEM outreach activities in the CoECS fall under the purview of this position.
This position can be based on the New City campus or Old Westbury campus.
- Take charge of the annual conferences and the CoECS annual awards event
- Develop and maintain relationships with local government and other funding organizations to identify and exploit funding opportunities
- Take charge of high schools visits and other recruitment initiatives
- Represent CoECS in internal and local events
- Manage the academic partnership agreements at various stages of development
- Manage the editorial process of the CoECS newsletters and publications
- Initiate funding proposals for various CoECS non-academic initiatives
- Interface with the industry to pass on the developed contacts to other entities within the CoECS
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Event planning experience
- Excellent follow-up on multiple projects concurrently; detail-oriented
- Strong customer service approach
- Strong negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in promoting programs and outreach
- Strong digital literacy, including Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Project Management tools, and document design software
- Ability to work independently; self-motivated
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Flexibility of schedule due to meetings and events throughout the day, evenings, and weekends
- Strategic problem solver/systems-oriented
- Social media literacy
- Photo and Video editing abilities are encouraged
- Master's degree required; strong candidates with a Bachelor's degree will be considered
- 3+ years of professional work experience required, preferably with at least 1 (one) year of experience in higher Previous public/ community affairs, government, citywide/ statewide advocacy, or administrative experience preferred.
- Travel around NYC and Long Island required, as well as occasional travel outside of the area
New York Institute of Technology offers numerous opportunities to enhance personal and professional growth and provides employees with a competitive compensation and benefits program inclusive of generous paid time off, holidays, tuition remission, and retirement plans with employer contributions.
New York Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with local legislation as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, the annual base salary range for this position is listed. New York Tech considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate experience/expertise, education/training, key skills, geographic location, internal peer equity as well as market, organizational considerations and/or applicable collective bargaining agreement when extending an offer.