Sous Chef, UM Dining
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College.
*Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.Staff Vacancy Announcement
UM Dining invites applications for a Sous Chef to be responsible for: all assigned food preparation in the kitchen, ensuring that CBORD recipes are followed, and Serving Line Worksheets are completed. The Sous Chef will envision, create and produce a variety of recipes and menus for UM Dining. In the absence of the Production Manager and Chef De Cuisine, the Sous Chef will order food and supplies for upcoming events. The Sous Chef may be required to work in other operations across campus as needed.
- Safe production and presentation of food items
- Properly handle disposing of left-overs
- Train, supervise and direct student and classified kitchen staff
- Audit and manage CBORD recipes
In the absence of the: Executive Sous Chef, Production Manager, and Chef de Cuisine, the Sous Chef directs and supervises up to six (6) classified culinarians and twenty (20) student employees.Required Skills
- Professional supervisory experience
- Experience with display cooking and presenting menus to guests
- Experience with effectively training employees
- Experience with recipe and menu development, and production of high-quality food
- ServSafe certification or the ability to obtain certification within one (1) year of employment
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude, and work within a diverse workforce
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High School diploma or equivalent, and two (2) years of food service experience in kitchens; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with high volume operations
Mission - To advance student success through exceptional dining experiences.
Vision – Innovative cuisine to inspire your world.
Shared Values and Guiding Principles
- IMPACT: We commit to local, regional, and global environmental stewardship through sustainable business practices and agricultural economic development in Montana and our region.
- PARTNERSHIPS: We cultivate collaborative partnerships with our on- and off-campus colleagues in support of the University’s mission.
- INCLUSIVITY: We respect and celebrate the contributions, rights, and dignity of our diverse employees and guests.
- GUEST SERVICE: The people we serve are our guests. We will exceed our guests’ expectations.
- EXCELLENCE: We exhibit passion, professionalism, integrity, loyalty, responsiveness, fiscal responsibility and innovation. We affirm, cultivate and value our employees through professional development.
The University of Montana is a flagship, R1 research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Sous Chef (Culinary Services Supervisor II)
Position Number: 102710
Department: UM Dining
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), 12 months/year
Hours vary due to needs of unit
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with university regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Sunday, December 3, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.Position Type