Posting Number: req18372
Department: Senior VP Health Sciences
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS) Clinical and Translational Sciences Research Center (CATS) is looking for a Research Nurse to work closely with colleagues in a fast-paced environment. This position will offer ample opportunity to learn about the world of human subject clinical research. The position will work closely with the Associate Vice President, Sr. Manager, and staff of the research center.
CATS provides concierge-level service to all UAHS investigators in support of human subjects clinical trials. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a team environment with a strong customer service focus and to play a part in facilitating the groundbreaking research occurring every day at the University of Arizona.
This position requires a nurse who is skilled at and knowledgeable about providing direct nursing care and can use this knowledge to review study protocols, SOPs, etc. to ensure participant and staff safety. It also requires a self-starter with excellent communication skills who learns quickly and is driven to ensure clinical research visits are completed per study protocols. This person can balance nursing responsibilities with administrative responsibilities such as study reviews and source document development. A successful candidate is proactive with participant care, clinic organization and safety.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Provide nursing care to clinical research participants of all ages including, but not limited to:
- Completing physical assessments, providing investigational and already approved medications/ treatments/ interventions, monitoring participants for side effects and adverse effects, collecting/monitoring vital signs, completing EKGs, completing blood draws, developing and providing education for participants, etc.
- Document medical/nursing data in participant's record. Instruct/counsel participants/ family members/ clinical research staff on research procedures. Follow protocols and study specific guidelines for the completion of study visits and collection of needed clinical data.
- Review and provide sound clinical feedback on study protocols for feasibility of completion at CATS.
- Assist with making protocols feasible for CATS when possible.
For studies using CATS nursing services:
- Develop study overviews for projects starting up or already active in CATS.
- Review and provide feedback on SOPs for studies involving CATS nurses and/or other CATS personnel.
- Assist with developing source documents and data collection sheets to capture nursing/medical data.
- Participate in site initiation visits and study meetings/ trainings/ visits as needed.
- Communicate and collaborate with study teams to maintain nursing quality and compliance with each project.
- Assist with maintaining CATS clinic organization and safety.
- Provide research staff with guidance/education on safe clinical research practices and maintaining clinic organization.
- Work with clinic manager and assistant manager to problem-solve clinic and clinical research issues, as well as provide ideas for clinic and clinical research improvements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Ability to work with research participants of all ages and backgrounds.
- Demonstrate understanding of good clinical practices.
- Skilled at IV placement in both adults and children.
- Skilled at completing routine phlebotomy in both adults and children.
- Ability to identify adverse reactions and to provide necessary interventions per SOPs and/or protocols.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different groups/individuals.
- Ability to complete nursing tasks consistent with study protocols.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- RN licensure and graduation from an accredited nursing program required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $75,540 - $98,201, annually
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Maria Gordon | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please note: If invited to interview, please be prepared to provide three (3) professional references.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.