The following is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This list of duties is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all the functions and responsibilities performed.
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for the management and operation of all activities within the Roswell Purchasing Department. This employee, in collaboration with the ENMU-System Purchasing Director, ensures the compliance with New Mexico statutes and the University policies and procedures. This position reports to the Roswell Vice President of Business Affairs.
Manages employees in the department and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs the general purchasing activities that include processing requisitions, purchase orders, travel requisitions, procurement card administration and intra-fund charges;
- Ensures all purchasing activities comply with State statutes and University policy and procedures;
- Manages existing contracts to ensure ENMU-R interests are protected;
- Negotiates with vendors/sales representatives on pricing, availability, delivery, substitutions, etc.;
- In collaboration with the ENMU system, develops Request for Proposals (RFP), Invitation for Bids (IFB) and specifications;
- Conducts sealed bid/proposals, openings and awarding of bids;
- Makes recommendations concerning major purchase agreements for materials, capital equipment, supplies, contract services and contractual decisions in the coordination of all major/minor purchases and contracts;
- Collaborates and serves with capital project management team in project meetings.
- Develops budget recommendations and manage approved budget;
- Supervises the inventory operation shipping and receiving, warehouse, and University mailroom.
- Manages the disposition of inventory and capital expenditures, the accounting record management of the fixed asset module, and the inventory and fixed asset count.
- Ensures all capital expenditures are appropriately mapped on the requisition form, and inventoried by employees.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- The employee must possess knowledge of university, state, and federal purchasing policies and procedures.
- Must have knowledge of procurement, storage, and distribution of a variety of supplies, materials, and equipment; preparation, negotiations, awarding of a variety of contracts; and preparation of technical specifications in support of procurement.
- Knowledge of purchasing and procedures, regulations, and documentation.
- Knowledge and understanding of the New Mexico Procurement Code.
- Knowledge of costing and pricing methodology and ability to perform comparative cost/benefit analyses.
- Ability to make effective administrative/procedural decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage confidential information.
- Ability to develop and maintain automated and manual record keeping systems and processes.
- Ability to analyze processes and make recommendations for improvements.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and compile data, and prepare and present reports.
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Business Administration or related field and one year of experience in purchasing activities, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have or obtain a New Mexico Chief Procurement Officer (NMCPO) certification within 90 days of hire.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Please apply at www.roswell.enmu.edu