Analytical Laboratory Manager
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented, and collaborative environmental chemist to oversee the Stream Team Analytical Chemistry Laboratory and support multiple research and training programs at Virginia Tech. The Stream Team Analytical Chemistry Laboratory has operated for >50 years as a teaching laboratory and center for biogeochemistry research, and we seek to recruit a Laboratory Manager to continue this strong tradition and play a vital role in ushering our group into the future. The Laboratory Manager will be based on campus in Blacksburg and will be responsible for analyzing environmental chemistry samples, training students, and maintaining instrumentation. They will work closely with a team of faculty and students to ensure the continuity of environmental chemistry analyses for multiple long-term monitoring programs and research projects; adherence to timelines and budgets; and maintenance of multiple instruments. The ideal candidate would have a strong background in environmental chemistry, excellent organizational skills, and diligent attention to details. This is a full-time, salaried position with full benefits.
Application review will start on December 8th and the position will remain open until filled. We ask applicants to submit a cover letter in which they detail how they meet the qualifications listed below.
Position responsibilities are:
- Managing and coordinating the Stream Team Analytical Chemistry Laboratory, which entails running biogeochemical analyses of ecological samples (primarily water and soil).
- Documenting quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) procedures of ongoing chemical analyses; developing new analyses; maintaining and updating written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); analyzing laboratory data; and maintaining and troubleshooting instrumentation.
- Co-instructor of record for a graduate-level course in biogeochemical analytical methods and statistics.
- Training and supervising students in laboratory safety and analyses of ecological samples.
- Providing administrative support such as inventory control; Environmental Health and Safety Compliance; and purchasing of laboratory supplies, consumables, and equipment.
- M.S. in environmental chemistry, geoscience, biology, or related field
- Substantial experience working in an analytical chemistry laboratory
- Extensive specialized working knowledge of chemical and biological analyses commonly used in stream, lake, and soil ecology, especially nutrient and greenhouse gas analyses
- Extensive working knowledge of statistical analyses and good laboratory practices
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting analytical instrumentation, including working with manufacturer technical support personnel to resolve problems and enact repairs
- Experience serving as a supervisor or other demonstration of leadership abilities
- Five or more years of experience working in an analytical chemistry laboratory
- Experience running and maintaining environmental chemistry instrumentation including an IC, HPLC, GC, TOC analyzer, elemental analyzer, and flow injection analyzer
- Experience developing and implementing environmental chemistry analysis workflows, including SOPs and developing QA/QC procedures
- Experience repairing chemistry instrumentation
- Experience training graduate and undergraduate students
- Experience serving as a manager of an analytical chemistry laboratory
Commensurate with experience but within budget maximum
December 8, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dreama Price at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.