Director of Finance Information Technology & Innovation
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance, the Director of Finance Information Technology and Innovation drives the strategy for leveraging digital services for the VP for Finance (VPF) senior management area functional needs including business solutions for university-wide processes managed out of the division.
This ensures effective and efficient delivery of key finance functions spanning budget development to compensation management, surplus property to procurement, ad-hoc analysis (which may be requested by the Board or General Assembly in tight timelines or campus leadership) to consistent financial information services for key ongoing processes, and ability to assist in envisioning and developing new services that do not yet exist to meet university financial needs. This includes being a liaison between campus users and VPF senior management area.
The Director oversees the technology used to support all aspects of VPF's business. The position collaborates with leadership within VPF and key stakeholders at the institution serving as a strategic partner to offer technical expertise and insight to support informed decision-making. The Director identifies opportunities for process optimization and manages the identification, development, and implementation of technology solutions. Additionally, the Director serves as a liaison between the university's Division of IT and the VPF senior management area to establish the strategic direction for enterprise systems.
The Director must be skilled at forging partnerships and establishing trust. They must have outstanding communication skills and a keen ability to convey complex technical concepts in easily understood terms to business stakeholders. Conversely, the Director must be able to translate business needs into user requirements and, ultimately, technology solutions. The Director must have deep technical expertise and the ability to serve as a leader and developer of IT talent within VPF.
* Must have a bachelor's degree in business or technology field, or equivalent training and multiple years of experience in administrative systems development and support in a large complex organization.
* Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge of the following:
o Relational databases and SQL
o Complex data analysis and creation of ad-hoc reports
o Web application development
o Computer and Application security
o Computer network, server, and desktop support in a Windows environment
* Knowledge of and ability to analyze complex business processes, demonstrated experience working collaboratively with diverse teams, and demonstrated ability to manage projects effectively.
* Excellent communication, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrated ability to exercise confidentiality and good judgment when working with sensitive issues.
* Demonstrated ability to extract, synthesize and transform data into management information.
* Demonstrated ability to utilize cloud platforms in a business environment.
* Demonstrated experience in managing high performing IT professionals within a time-sensitive operations environment.
* Experience managing storage and backup of large sets of electronic files to meet retention requirements.
* Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service.
* Advanced degree in business or technology related discipline.
* Knowledge of higher education accounting and finance concepts and software preferred.
* Knowledge of Ellucian Banner systems, especially the Human Resources and Finance modules preferred.
* Knowledge of Virginia Tech business processes related to budget, accounting, personnel, payroll, purchasing and sponsored programs administration preferred.
* Efficiency with SAS, MicroStrategy,.net, UI Path or similar Robotic Process Automation software, Microsoft Power Platform, Microsoft Azure and Microsoft SharePoint
* Knowledge of Desktop Support tools and technologies such as Big Fix, Microsoft Intune, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, Splashtop, Code 42 and Service Now.
* Knowledge of current trends in Intelligent Automation, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning related to Finance.
Commensurate with Experience with a salary range up to $160,000 per year
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Zach LaCroix at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.