Associate Vice President, Admissions
GENERAL POSITION INFORMATION
Position Name : Associate Vice President of Admissions
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Work Hours: 8-4:30 M-F; Occasional nights and weekends as required. Preference given to hybrid candidates, but fully remote candidates will be considered
Supervisor: Executive Vice President
University of Western States (UWS) offers a world-class, integrated health care education and provides an evidence-informed approach to health and wellness. Our graduates deliver high-quality health care based on science, the professional's skill and knowledge, and the preferences and experiences of the patient or client. The university is at the forefront of an emerging, whole-person philosophy of health care by offering a variety of health and wellness educational programs. Learn more about us by visiting our website at https://www.uws.edu/.
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including employer paid and employer sponsored health, dental and vision insurance plan options. 403(b) retirement plan with up to 10% match after one year. Tuition waiver eligibility for UWS academic programs after one year of employment. Free and reduced cost care in the campus health center for employees and their immediate family members. Paid vacation, sick, wellness time and holidays.
The Associate Vice President of Admissions (AVPA) is the administrative officer charged with planning, implementation, supervising, and assessing recruitment, admissions, and enrollment. The AVPA reports to the Executive Vice President and is a member of the university's leadership team and works closely with the other administrators.
The AVPA is responsible for admissions for all university programs and other academic offerings. The AVPA creates and directs recruitment and admission strategies that utilize a combination of in-person, virtual, and marketing and promotional outreach efforts. The position works closely with marketing/communications in the conceptualization and creation of a robust marketing strategy to attract high-quality applicants and raise brand awareness.
The AVPA is responsible for the development, implementation, and management of recruitment and admissions policies, practices, and services to best meet the immediate and long-range admission goals of the university. The position works closely with student finance, student services, global engagement department and academic programs to ensure new students seamlessly transition from applicant to student, including developing and implementing strategies to improve new student retention and persistence.
The AVPA directly supervises admissions staff, manages and directs the day-to-day procedural operations of the department, and actively participates as an admissions team member.
The AVPA directs the strategic optimization of data-collection techniques in the recruitment CRM system. Analyses historical and point-in-time data to monitor progress toward institutional goals. Ensures that admissions software technology is optimized for both data collection and a seamless user experience.
The AVPA is a resource for and liaison between the admissions office and other UWS offices/services.
# of employees this position supervises: 7
Job titles of employees supervised: Associate Director of Admissions, Assistant Director of Recruitment, Assistant Operations Manager, and Admissions Counselors (4)
Lead strategic and operational planning and strategy execution (25%):
- Provide leadership in designing and executing the university's enrollment strategies, including make sophisticated use of data and utilizing best practices in enrollment management.
- Participate in academic program reviews to provide enrollment data and information to inform program improvements.
- Utilize, analyze, and share data with university leadership to inform short and long-term strategies related to student enrollment, persistence, and retention.
- Contribute to the creation of accreditation self-studies, university appraisals, and other reports for leadership, the board of trustees, or outside entities.
- Work with Executive VP to set enrollment goals and targets for the university's operating budget; engage in long-range, multi-year budget planning as assigned.
- Partners with student services to develop and implement strategies to optimize matriculates and promote first-year retention and persistence.
- Work closely with the other university administrators to lead strategic initiatives by communicating the objectives, cultivating engagement and buy-in, and managing the change process.
- Participate in the university's leadership council; provide regular updates and data on enrollment to inform university decisions and actions.
Maintain admission and enrollment best practices and operations (25%):
- Ensure adherence to all university policies and procedures within the department.
- Ensure the members of the department uphold the highest levels of professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Serve as the Chair of the Admissions Committee,
- Create resources and trainings for admissions personnel to ensure they have the programmatic knowledge and technical skills necessary to provide effective prospect advising.
- Review and revise admission and enrollment policies in accordance with current federal laws and accreditation standards and recommend necessary revisions to the university policy committee.
- Manage and execute matriculation and yield tactics.
- Develop and maintain recruitment plans and strategies for each academic program.
Data analysis and data management (10%):
- Analyze data on prospective student and applicant activity; use data to develop and implement strategies for optimizing enrollments.
- Initiate proactive data-informed recruitment initiatives and early interventions.
- Provide reports and ongoing assessments and analysis to university leadership on progress towards admission targets and goals.
- Optimize CRM platform to track and interpret analytics regarding pipeline development.
Marketing strategy (20%):
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to design and execute prospective student engagement plans from the point of initial contact through matriculation.
- Manage the delivery of admissions-related publications and promotional materials; develop and maintain documents, letters, and forms used to correspond with applicants for admission; develop new application materials as needed.
- Participate in program-specific marketing meetings.
- Evaluate existing communication flows and supportive technologies, identify opportunities for enhancement, and oversee the implementation of new or revised outreach tools.
Employee supervision (20%):
- Accomplish department/division objectives by supervising employees and monitoring their progress and performance.
- Provide accountability and leadership for timely inquiry outreach and accurate processing of applications.
- Maintain departmental staffing by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees and developing personal growth opportunities.
- Develop employees within their roles via coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees.
- Conduct regular check-ins with all direct reports to monitor performance, track progress on the completion of work responsibilities, and discuss successes and challenges.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations for all direct reports.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing and enforcing organization standards and adhering to legal regulations.
UWS CORE VALUES
Best Practices: We maintain high standards by using and integrating evidence across multiple disciplines.
Curiosity: We are innovative, open minded, and forward thinking.
Inclusiveness: We are respectful, mindful, and welcoming of different ways of being, thinking, and doing.
Professionalism: We are responsible, respectful, and accountable.
Student-Focus: We work for the common good of students' academic and professional success.
Whole-Person Health: We promote physical, mental and emotional wellness in all facets of the UWS experience.
EXPECTED COMPETENCIES FOR SUPERVISORS
Developing & Retaining Talent: Ability to recruit, retain, and develop high performing individuals aligned with UWS' core values and institutional goals. Completes performance reviews and development plans for all direct reports on time. Ability to provide constructive feedback and coaching to direct reports, including individuals who are underperforming.
Managing & Stewarding Resources: Prepares budget(s) to appropriately support department/division functions and goals. Meets or exceeds performance goals and budget targets. Effectively manages departmental resources and processes and seeks opportunities to create efficiencies. Demonstrates the financial acumen for managing budgets aggressively. Effectively manages relationships with vendors and/or contractors.
Leading & Managing Change: Promotes a culture of continuous improvement within department/division with a focus on effective and efficient processes and procedures. An openness to change and the ability provide leadership and clear communication to stakeholders throughout the change process. Engages employees in the change process and develops commitment for sustaining change.
Required: Bachelor's Degree; 3-5 years admissions experience; or related experience in student recruitment, student services, or marketing/communications; Experience with CRM systems; Ability to travel; Must work some nights/weekends
Preferred: Master's Degree or higher; 5+ years admissions experience; International student advising; Marketing and communications experience
APPLICATION, SCREENING AND HIRING PROCESS:
Screening of applicants will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter; you may attach your materials as Word or PDF documents.
University of Western States conducts background checks for the finalist or finalists of staff and faculty positions. The type of background check will vary by position type.
Compensation & Benefits
This opportunity is budgeted at $95,000-120,000 base compensation. Additional compensation factors may impact total compensation. To learn more about our competitive benefits and additional rewards, including generous paid time-off, medical and dental insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, click the link below.
University or Western States is an Equal Opportunity Employer.