Posting Number: req18366
Department: Internal Audit
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Senior Auditor plays a key role in providing internal control and consulting services in financial and operational areas. This includes identifying control deficiencies, advising on improvements, and ensuring the University's compliance with legal and regulatory requirements. They also safeguard the University's assets and interests through prudent decision-making, risk mitigation, and proper documentation.
This role examines, verifies, evaluates, and reports on financial, operational, and managerial processes, making recommendations for improvement. It operates within the Internal Audit unit of the Business Affairs Division and collaborates with other Senior Auditors to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services. Audits cover various areas, providing opportunities to enhance University compliance and efficiency.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, committed to integrity and ethics, and enjoys delivering value-added solutions for compliance and operational improvements. They conduct professional auditing activities independently, adhering to industry standards, current laws, and University policy.
Minimal travel may be required within the state of AZ.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Auditing & Evaluation:
- Evaluate University management practices for adequacy, effectiveness, and efficiency.
- Determine compliance of operating units with management instructions, policies, University objectives, and administrative standards.
- Identify and assess risk areas to create detailed audit programs.
- Create defined audit objectives, scope, and procedures for complex audits and special projects.
- Report on the progress of audit assignments to leadership.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the Auditor team.
- Ensure high standards of administrative practice are maintained in planning, accounting, custodial, and control activities.
- Define audit time budgets and benchmarks to ensure efficient completion of assignments.
- Continuously monitor and adapt audit processes in response to changing regulatory requirements and emerging risks.
- Facilitate training and knowledge-sharing sessions to enhance the skills and capabilities of audit team members.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and implement innovative solutions for audit challenges.
- Employ advanced data analytics techniques to enhance audit effectiveness and identify anomalies.
Communication & Stakeholder Engagement:
- Collaborate with University management and staff to discuss audit evaluations, analyses, observations, and recommendations.
- Work towards strengthening internal controls and improving operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Communicate audit findings and recommendations effectively through meaningful audit reports.
- Conduct entrance and exit conference meetings with management to discuss observations and recommendations.
- Provides internal control and consulting services in financial and operational areas by identifying and defining control deficiencies/problems and advises management on improvements.
Compliance & Reporting:
- Ensure that University operations are in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports for the Arizona Board of Regents and UA management.
- Report on the progress of audit assignments.
- Drafts and meticulously documents work papers with a high degree of logical precision, ensuring seamless alignment with the predefined objectives.
- Conducts evaluation of associated risks, offering detailed documentation to substantiate the audit procedures and the comprehensive audit report while upholding and surpassing office standards.
Internal Audit Team Support:
- Collaborate with the Internal Audit team to support overall Internal Audit goals and assignments.
- Actively participate in coordinating internal Quality Assurance & Improvement Programs, ensuring the continuous enhancement of audit processes and practices.
- Lead the coordination of internal procedures that enhance internal controls and regulatory compliance.
- Conduct special studies and investigations as requested by university management, focusing on alleged misuse of university resources. These inquiries play a crucial role in maintaining transparency, accountability, and resource integrity.
- Continuously participate in training and remain updated on audit policies, risk mitigation and strategies, best practices, and the latest developments in audit methodologies to ensure the highest standards of performance and effectiveness.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations applicable to higher education, ensuring compliance in audit activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively convey audit findings and recommendations to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills to handle complex audits, meet deadlines, and manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Proven ability to work effectively within a team environment, as well as independently.
- High ethical standards and a commitment to upholding the principles of integrity and confidentiality in auditing practices.
- Familiarity with sound business practices to enhance decision-making.
- Knowledge of computers, including the use of electronic spreadsheets and databases.
- Knowledge and skill in analyzing organizational problems and determining effective management processes, policy development, and training procedures.
- Strong capacity to compose clear, succinct, and precise reports detailing observations and recommendations.
- Exceptional skill in building and sustaining effective working relationships, fostering collaboration within and across different organizational units to expedite task completion.
- Proficiency in data analysis and using audit software tools to extract insights and identify potential risks.
- Proficiency in audit and accounting principles, encompassing theory, practices, and techniques.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Professional certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA).
- Must have a valid driver's license and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- A master's degree in a relevant field such as finance, accounting, business administration, or a related discipline.
- Prior experience working in an internal auditing role within a higher education institution, understanding the unique challenges and regulatory requirements in this environment.
- Previous experience in risk assessment and the development of risk-based audit plans.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.00
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Legal Compliance
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $75,540 - DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Legal & Compliance
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.