Business Manager - Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design
West Virginia University's Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design (DCANRD) is seeking applications for a Business Manager.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Chairperson of the Plant and Soil Sciences division, the Business Manager will develop, oversee, and maximize retail budget and product inventory, purchasing, and sales. This position will serve as a liaison between the Davis College Research, Education and Outreach Centers (REOC's), faculty, staff, WV businesses, and Davis College/WVU administration. The Davis College Business Manager will work to establish a marketplace for products and services generated by the REOCs, students, staff and faculty in fulfilling the University's research, teaching and service missions. The Manager will help develop, curate, and market products and services generated by partners (REOCs and WV businesses) sold through the physical Davis College store.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Manage the sale and marketing of products and services in the Davis College physical and online stores.
- Maintain an attractive store presence (physical and online) by ensuring that the store looks clean and inviting.
- Place and rotate merchandise to attract positive attention from customers.
- Develop and maintain an environment focused on customer service that acts as an example for students on how to manage a retail environment.
- Interact with customers via telephone, email, online chat, or in person to provide support and information on products or services.
- Address customer needs and resolve issues, ensuring positive and long-term customer relationships.
- Collect and maintain sales records required to track, review and modify performance and marketing initiatives. Confirm daily sales reports and cash receipts, and ensure monies are deposited regularly.
- Ensure inventory data is correct by performing spot inventory counts and checks.
- Conduct research, sales forecasting, and strategic planning to assess and ensure the sale and profitability of products.
- Collaborate with partners (REOC's, WVU greenhouse, WV businesses) to identify and produce goods and services that can be sold in the Davis College store.
- Develop, coordinate, and identify cost-effective marketing and advertising strategies. Conduct research and analysis to ensure competitive product and service pricing and the efficacy of marketing strategies.
- Promote business development through University activities that highlight the benefits of entrepreneurship.
- Organize and lead regular meetings of partners, committees, and subcommittees, and communicate on a regular basis with University and College administration.
- Maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the market. Forecast and analyze marketing strategies, identify the demand for new products and services, present reports summarizing information and make recommendations to leadership.
- Provide oversight and education to students in independent studies, internships, and employment regarding the development, sale and marketing of goods, products and services.
- Bachelor's degree in an Agricultural related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in sales, marketing and customer service.
- Knowledge of agricultural techniques and principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent sales, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong leadership and management skills with ability to motivate others.
- Ability to develop and maintain budgets.
- Knowledge of point-of-sale systems.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Valid US Driver's License
- Food Handler's license
- Pesticide Applicator license
- Will require participation in the Medical Monitoring Program
- Must obtain Procurement card within 30 days of hire
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Nov 27, 2023
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes