Custodian I (Weekend Position)
Posting Number: req18348
Department: Residential Facilities
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
This position is the weekend (Saturday- Wednesday) shift. Shift start times may vary from 6:00 a.m.
The Custodian position, reporting to a Custodial Area Supervisor, provides essential work at Housing & Residential Life and plays an essential role in assuring a healthy, safe, and comfortable environment for our residents. The Custodian position is considered essential to our housing operations as it is part of a team responsible for providing professional housekeeping services in the dorms. This team is responsible for the elevated cleaning standards set in place due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This is a fast-paced setting where specific job assignments, shifts, and locations may be adjusted within our facilities as necessary to meet the department's needs. This position involves lifting/transporting and/or carrying heavy objects and requires movement around the assigned buildings. It will require going up and down stairs throughout the day, as well as working in a variety of weather conditions. All custodian positions are expected to wear non-slip shoes as part of their uniforms. In some cases, this position may require driving University vehicles and/or golf carts.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs routine custodial tasks per established schedules and housekeeping standards; this includes but is not limited to: dusting, wet mopping, vacuuming, removing trash, cleaning stairs, washing walls, cleaning windows and window coverings, cleaning and polishing mirrors and furniture.
- Safely operates all vehicles and other job related equipment.
- Drives High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) for movement around the dorms, which requires a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Strips and refinishes floors, shampoos carpets and upholstery.
- Cleans bathrooms shower stalls, toilets, glass, mirrors, and walls using housekeeping chemicals.
- Restocks bathrooms with necessary materials.
- Moves sofas, chairs, tables, desks, and beds to accomplish cleaning tasks and to perform occasional special projects.
- Participates in training as scheduled.
- Performs related duties as part of a project team; typically during summer months and semester breaks.
- Communicates effectively and professionally in the workplace.
- Reports problems, incidents, damages, or building repairs needed and as directed by supervisors and maintains necessary records.
- Properly handles and disposes of recycling materials and follows instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies and use as directed.
- Provides quality customer service to staff, students, and campus visitors.
- Basic computer skills required to check emails, take required University trainings, etc.
- Performs additional duties as assigned or required to meet Housing & Residential Life and University goals and objectives.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to work in a detailed-oriented, team environment.
- Demonstrated skill in the operation of carpet cleaning and floor cleaning equipment such as buffers, extractors, scrubbers, and power washers.
- Basic computer skill.
- Knowledge and use of housekeeping chemicals and equipment.
- Must be able to lift/transport up to 50 lbs., bend, twist, pull, reach as needed, and climb stairs.
- Requires movement around the assigned buildings as well as working in a variety of weather conditions.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Must have a valid driver's license and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- One year custodial experience.
- One year of custodial experience in a commercial or institutional setting.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Facilities, Grounds and Infrastructure
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $15.00
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Facilities Mgmt & Services
Facil, Grounds, & Infra
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.