Promotora/Health Educator (Extended Temporary) (Multiple Positions)
Posting Number: req18203
Department: Cancer Center Division
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: 1515 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724 USA
The University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) is a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer through patient care, research, and education. The UACC is seeking candidates for a Promotora / Health Educator (Community Outreach Assistant II).
The Promotora / Health Educator will help to evaluate the effectiveness of a culturally tailored, multi-channel educational communication campaign to improve knowledge and public awareness of liver disease and liver cancer risk factors in Mexican-origin communities in Southern Arizona. The community outreach assistant also will support community-based engagement and education to increase knowledge of early detection and screening efforts for cancer prevention with the coordination of a federally qualified health center (FHQC).
This is an Extended Temporary Employment (ETE) position.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attends community events in assigned communities and requests participation in research and eduction initiatives, clearly explaining process and purpose of efforts.
- Establishes and maintains partnerships with community organizations by being present in communities, engaging in community discussions, and promoting health education and research programs.
- Develops and implements health promotion materials with community partners and the Nosotros team to raise awareness of health-related issues.
- Links community members to health services and community resources.
- Coordinates referrals to community partners and tracks outcomes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Able to lift/move/transport up to 15 lbs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- This position requires successful communication
with Spanish-speaking communities. Fluency in Spanish is required.
- Ability to work weekends, as well as Friday/Saturday evenings.
- Experience planning and organizing community-based events such as workshops and health screening and health events is preferred.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Outreach and Community Engagement
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $16.50 - $20.63
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Outreach & Community Engage
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Expected End Date: 9/30/2024
Contact Information for Candidates
David Garcia | email@example.com
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.