The Staff Accountant is a member of the finance team who establishes and maintains accounting and College policies and procedures. The Staff Accountant is responsible for maintaining the general ledger through monthly and quarterly reconciliations and analyses, ensuring proper posting of all transactions. Our ideal candidate is analytical and methodical, with experience in the application of core accounting principles and a thorough understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
INTERVIEWS FOR THIS POSITION WILL BEGIN IN JANUARY.
- Prepare complex reconciliations and schedules, research and resolve discrepancies.
- Ensure accounting records are complete and accurate by working with internal departments for the proper coding of transactions to the general ledger through detail analysis and understanding of the transaction.
- Assist with month-end and year-end close processes.
- Maintain, reconcile, and balance assigned accounts and funds to the general ledger.
- Assist management with all fiscal functions including monitoring of accounts to ensure compliance with College policies.
- Suggests, recommends and implements changes to accounts, reports, and systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED
- Extensive accounting, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems and drawing logical conclusions.
- Strong knowledge of College policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
- Familiarity with large ERP system, strong PC skills including proficiency in Excel.
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Skill in planning, project management and in maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines.
- Effective verbal and written communication, including active listening skills.
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere with the College staff.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, action-oriented problem solver with the ability to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE REQUIRED
- Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles.
- Ability to analyze, consolidate, and interpret accounting data.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and internal policies and make recommendations for improvement.
- Ability to prepare financial and accounting records.
- Proficiency in computer software including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
EDUCATION / TRAINING REQUIRED:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor Degree in Accounting.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance and CPA license or CPA candidate and two years of higher-level accounting or audit experience.