Laboratory Technician (Howe Lab)
The Howe laboratory in the School of Neuroscience at Virginia Tech is recruiting a laboratory technician who can independently oversee and assist in ongoing research activities. This candidate will also assist the primary investigator (PI) with operational oversight of the laboratory. This position is a research position where the candidate will function independently and responsibly while reporting directly to the laboratory PI Dr. Matt Howe. This individual is expected to support research efforts focused on mitochondrial function and how mitochondrial dysfunction contributes to neurodegenerative disease.
- Bachelor's of Science degree or equivalent in Neuroscience, Biology, Biochemistry, or related discipline or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Wet bench laboratory experience performing techniques applicable to molecular neuroscience, cell biology, or biochemistry research.
- Previous laboratory experience in a biomedical research laboratory.
- Experience and knowledge about mouse genetics, cell and molecular biology, and mitochondrial biology.
- Basic knowledge of molecular neuroscience and a fundamental understanding of standard laboratory equipment ranging from centrifuges to PCR.
- Experience with rodent animal models is a plus.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jonathan Hedrick at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.