Executive Director of the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center
The John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (JPEC) within the Tippie College of Business at the University of Iowa invites applications for one Clinical-Track (non-tenure) Faculty Position in Management and Entrepreneurship at the level of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor, preferably starting January 2024 or no later than July 2024. Rank will be based on experience and record of achievement. Position is a 12-month fiscal year appointment at 100% time with benefits initially for 3 years with ability to renew. For more information about the Clinical-Track Faculty policy, refer to the Policy Manual, III 10.9.
Reporting to the Dean of the Tippie College of Business, the Executive Director of the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (Iowa JPEC) is responsible for leading a portfolio of campus-wide and community-based entrepreneurial development programs, including oversight of the University’s Small Business Development Center, the Jacobson Institute for Youth Entrepreneurship and a collaboration with the collegiate Institute for International Business. This role will lead efforts to expand the reputation and impact of Iowa JPEC through growing and supporting an inclusive entrepreneurial ecosystem at the University of Iowa and throughout the state of Iowa. JPEC’s goal is to accelerate the development of innovative solutions to address societal challenges around the world.
Job duties include:
- Serving as Executive Director of Iowa JPEC, which entails leading the efforts to serve as the university’s hub for entrepreneurship training, acceleration, and support including community entrepreneurship outreach programs.
- Direct student co-curricular programming activities designed to further develop students’ entrepreneurial mindset and professional skills, successfully launch new entrepreneurial ventures, and connect students to internship and full-time employment opportunities with entrepreneurial ventures and innovative organizations. The opportunity for limited teaching of entrepreneurship classes is also available.
- Develop partnerships with regional, state, national, and international entrepreneurship and economic develop organizations to identify opportunities for collaboration, serve on committees, and enhance Iowa JPEC’s overall standing and rankings in the professional and academic communities.
- Work closely with Tippie College of Business leadership, University of Iowa Center for Advancement staff, and the Iowa JPEC Advisory Council to secure private, corporate, and government grant support to fund expansion of Iowa JPEC entrepreneurship programs and initiatives.
- Lead a team of professional staff who manage a portfolio of entrepreneurship training and support programs designed to drive new venture formation and growth of small-to-medium size enterprises across the campus and state of Iowa.
Salary and level is commensurate with education and experience.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any misconduct history or pending research misconduct investigation including but not limited to sexual misconduct in prior employment and provide a related release and will be subject to a criminal background and credential check.
There is an expectation that the person in this position will maintain effective, civil, and respectful working relationships with the University of Iowa campus community and uphold a high standard of cultural competency and respect for difference that represents the Tippie College of Business’ commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Master’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Business, Entrepreneurship, or a technology related field of study is required.
- A minimum of 7 years or mid-and-senior level experience at an entrepreneurial center in higher education or executive leadership experience in an entrepreneurial, corporate, or economic development organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge in entrepreneurship theory and practice.
- Ability to secure external funds to support existing program expansion and new program development.
- 5 or more years of experience developing, leading, implementing, and evaluating an organization's strategic vision in a highly complex university or professional organizational setting.
- Knowledge about entrepreneurial trends and best practices to support new venture creation.
- Demonstrated experience managing financial oversight of a program or service and proven track record of external fundraising.
- Entrepreneurial experience including founding/co-founding a company or mentoring and/or coaching entrepreneurial ventures.
- Well-developed network within the entrepreneurial community or the potential to cultivate such connections.
Please submit your materials by using the University of Iowa online job application system at http://jobs.uiowa.edu/jobSearch/faculty/. Click on the listings for Tippie College of Business and select requisition 75036.
Applicants should submit:
1. Letter addressing all qualifications noted above
2. Curriculum vita
3. Provide the e-mail addresses of 3 external reference writers at the application website.
For best consideration, applications should be submitted by December 1. Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.
Direct general questions about the position to Professor Dimy Doresca (dimy-doresca @uiowa.edu ); Search Committee Chair, and questions about the application procedure to Tippie-West-Asst@uiowa.edu.
The University of Iowa’s status as a premier research university depends on the robust exchange of ideas. As we enhance the breadth and depth of our perspectives, we are better able to fulfill our mission to explore, discover, create, and engage. Thus, we are committed to supporting every Hawkeye’s pursuit of excellence. Our ability to foster an equitable and inclusive environment for all who join the UI family will determine our collective success. We eagerly accept this challenge. At the UI, we achieve excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion. To learn more about the University of Iowa’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit https://diversity.uiowa.edu/.
The Tippie College of Business is committed to recruiting a diverse student body, faculty, and staff. Explore our recruiting website at https://www.biz.uiowa.edu/search/iowa-city/
We are committed to recruiting and retaining the most talented and diverse faculty and staff, which involves providing opportunities for employees to “Build a Career and Build a Life” in the Iowa City area. The University offers several benefits to support faculty in achieving a healthy work/life balance including domestic partner benefits, family caregiving leave, flexible spending accounts for dependent care and health care. For more information about local work/life resources, including dual-career support, please see: https://worklife.uiowa.edu/.
Learn about the programs and activities of one of the most comprehensive entrepreneurial educational and outreach centers in the country.
See what makes the Tipple College of Business stand out from the rest.
Learn more about one of the nation's premier public research institutions.
Food, nightlife, music, culture, art, recreation, and that Midwestern welcoming you've heard about.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or firstname.lastname@example.org.