Chief Student Development Officer
This President’s Cabinet level, leadership position is responsible for the supervision and coordination of the Student Development area of Simpson University. As the Chief Student Development Officer (CSDO), this position is responsible for co-curricular staff and programs including but not limited to the areas of spiritual formation, missions, campus life, residence life, student government, academic success center, veteran success center, TRIO student support services, career and internships, personal counseling, and disability services. This position also serves as the Title IX officer for the campus and represents Student Development at the president’s cabinet. The ideal candidate will possess experience and knowledge related to the broad landscape of higher education with a strong sense of business acumen as well as proven ability to facilitate mediation of institutional risk.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess an earned Doctorate. The minimum requirements include a Master’s Degree in Student Development, Psychology, Business or related field
- Five years of progressive management experience in a related Christian higher education setting
- Experience in and understanding of the student development field including challenges, trends and issues
- Demonstrated experience launching and delivering programs that align with institutional priorities such as increasing mission and outreach programs, campus wide faith formation initiatives, and grant acquisition.
- Demonstrated successful management in the Student Development area in Christian higher education
- Working knowledge of all programs offered to students, as well as other student services
- Exceptional leadership abilities, including the ability to relate well with people, the ability to train develop and motivate a team and the demonstrated ability to delegate and hold staff accountable
- Highly motivated self starter
- Excellent analytical, organizational, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Minimum of three years of significant and responsible budget experience
- Strong communication skills (including writing, speaking and interpersonal and the ability to utilize data to tell the story and drive strategic decision-making)
- Personal relationship with Jesus, a vibrant Christian faith, and a commitment to Christian community; capable of sharing faith and engaging in conversations about Christ
- Demonstrate Simpson University Values in the performance of all duties.
- Maintain lifestyle in accordance with Simpson University Lifestyle Policy in Staff Handbook
- Maintain the confidentiality of information, data and records
- Properly exercise tact, diplomacy, discretion, and professional judgment
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills in the performance of job duties
- Demonstrate good organizational and communication skills in the performance of job duties
- Supervises employees in accordance with Simpson University policies and procedures
- Support the overflow needs of other departments within the respective university area
- Perform other duties in accordance with this position as deemed necessary by the President
- Provide leadership, direction and administrative oversight for the area of student development in cooperation with the President
- Responsible for the hiring and training of staff in cooperation with the President in accordance with Human Resources guidelines and procedures
- Provide supervision, development, direction and evaluations of Student Development employees in keeping with school guidelines and policies
- Report to the President on a regular basis and serve as a member of the President’s Cabinet
- Responsible for area budget preparation and management in cooperation with the President
- Responsible for the oversight of the development and enforcement of co-curricular student policies in keeping with the values of the University, the C&MA, and applicable government regulations
- Responsible for the development of new programs and program evaluations in cooperation with the president
- Represents the area of student development to the rest of the campus and serves as the as the administrative liaison with students and parents.
- Champion the value of co-curricular programs in the life of students and the institution
- Participate annually in education related to legal issues that impact student development and works with Human Resources and the Chief Operations Officer in risk management to mitigate such issues
- Prepares and submits a semi-annual state of the area report for the Board of Trustees
- Assist in the design, assessment, and evaluation of institutional research projects as aligned with Student Development
- Oversee entire residence life operation of multiple halls, hall associations, Staff-in-Residence (SIR) and assist with the Faculty-in-Residence (FIR) program
- Provides oversight to Title IX issues as the designated Title IX officer for the university maintaining currency in Title IX regulations through ongoing training and certification.
- Develop partnerships with local businesses for internships, jobs, and student services when necessary
- Responsible for aligning Student Development with assessment and strategic planning
Salary Range: $90,000-$110,000 Annually
How to apply: To be considered for this position, applicants must submit an employment application through the Simpson University website and include a cover letter, resume/vitae, one-page personal statement of faith, transcripts and 3 references.