Assistant Farm Manager
Provide technical support in the production of produce for the educational farm-to-campus program at Homefield Farm. This position will report to the Sustainability Manager for Dining Services and will be supervised by the Homefield Farm Manager on a daily basis.
Here's what you need to know about the role. Responsibilities include:
1) Operating tractors and tractor-drawn implements for soil tillage, crop planting, cultivation, mowing, and materials handling.
2) Assist in the supervision of Dining Services employees, students, and volunteers.
3) Oversee the implementation, monitoring, and upkeep of farm records for Dining Services documentation, Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) food safety and USDA Organic production and handling standards.
4) Responsible for working with the Farm Manager to initiate and maintain communications between Homefield Farm and the appointed representatives in Dining Services.
5) Assist in maintaining the cleanliness and safety of facilities, including cleaning, organization, mowing, and weed-whacking.
6) Assist in daily farm operations, including planting, weeding, harvesting, post-harvest washing, packing, and delivery of vegetables. Assists with winterizing and de-winterizing farm facilities.
7) Assist with Homefield Farm dining-related tours, outreach activities and on-campus events (i.e., farm stands).
8) Consistent utilization of shared Homefield Farm files to track plot usage, harvest logs, field spacing, etc.
9) Willing and able to professionally represent Homefield Farm to students and the larger VT community. Other duties as assigned, to include dining unit collaboration and planning during slower seasons at Homefield Farm.
- Previous experience working on a farm or other agricultural enterprise.
- Previous experience operating tractors and tractor-drawn implements and demonstrated knowledge of tractor safety.
- Willingness to attend Virginia Tech Environmental Health and Safety trainings pertaining to farm safety, including but not limited to tractor safety, power tool safety, and ladder safety.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Ability to work in a strenuous outdoor setting in adverse weather conditions.
- Strong organizational and verbal communication skills, including phone, email, and record keeping.
- Previous experience working with horticultural crops, including vegetables, fruits, herbs, flowers, and ornamentals.
- Previous experience supervising multiple individuals simultaneously.
- Previous experience or interest in organic and sustainable farming practices.
- Experience with Outlook, Microsoft applications and Teams.
Salary $42,000 - $45,000 and commensurate with experience
November 27, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as a driving check with a safe driving record.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Carolyn Hanneman at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
About Student Affairs:
Student Affairs at Virginia Tech fosters a community where each student creates a customized experience to meet their goals. Building on our motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice our Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth. We are actively seeking people to join our community and help us prepare leaders for the world. Our people in Student Affairs are committed to student well-being and assuring that all students Experience VT by demonstrating, supporting, and operationalizing our Aspirations for Student Learning. If you are someone dedicated to ensuring student success, then we want you to consider being a part of our team!