Open Rank in Pediatric Emergency Medicine (req27583)
Employment Type: Faculty
Emerg Med Peds Emerg Med (558F)
School of Medicine
The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more information.
The University of New Mexico, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine (PEM) is seeking a board-certified Pediatric Emergency Medicine Faculty to serve as Ultrasound Director of our busy Pediatric Emergency Department. This physician will advance a thriving clinical program and participate in the academic missions of our excellent PEM fellowship and Emergency Medicine Residency. The successful applicant will also support a strong community-engaged teaching and research program. The Division has 13 full-time and part-time PEM attending physicians and supports an outstanding PEM Fellowship. We are part of a large and innovative Department of Emergency Medicine. Our 12-bed facility is the only pediatric emergency department in New Mexico and has an annual census of 25,000 visits. We serve children and families across the Southwest. We lead multiple community preparedness programs and research efforts throughout the state through our EMS for Children (EMSC)-funded "Child Ready Program."
The Department of Emergency Medicine has 72 full-time and part-time attending physicians, and is home to an outstanding EM Residency, EMS Academy and Center for Disaster Medicine. UNM Health System is New Mexico's only Level I Trauma Center, UNM Children's Hospital, home to the only Burn Center, and the state's first Comprehensive Stroke Center. UNM Health System providers specialize in over 150 areas and receive 900,000 outpatient visits, 22,000 surgical cases and 100,000 emergency room visits each year. UNM prides itself on being an engaged partner to the many communities it serves and takes great pride and accepts the responsibility that comes with that commitment. The School of Medicine (SOM), created in 1964, is celebrated for its research discoveries and innovations in medical education and has earned a reputation for prioritizing diversity in the physician and health professions workforce. SOM is home to a groundbreaking BA/MD Program that provides a new pathway for students from throughout New Mexico to pursue a medical career, as well as, numerous graduate and health profession programs. The SOM sits within a Health Sciences Center, along with a Population-Based Health, Pharmacy, and Nursing Graduate Program offering unique inter-professional training and collaborative experiences. The University of New Mexico is located in the beautiful mountain west at the intersection of unique and diverse cultures.
- Have an MD/DO or equivalent
- Completed a fellowship in Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
- Board certified or board eligible in Emergency Medicine or Pediatrics, and in Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
- Completed Ultrasound Fellowship
- 3 to 5 years of directly related experience which may include time spent in residency and fellowship.
- State of New Mexico Medical license or equivalent and Federal DEA Certification at time of hire.
Preferred Qualifications: we invite applicants to talk about their knowledge, experiences, and impact in the following areas
- Pediatric Ultrasound clinical, teaching, and research experiences.
- Certification as a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer with a Pediatric Sonography specialization.
- Clinical skills in emergency medicine/specialty areas with a focus on the ability to communicate effectively with physicians, patients and other health professionals as well as with multilingual populations.
- Commitment and activities related to community engagement.
- Interest or experiences in scholarly, educational, or administrative work to include coaching and mentoring.
- Personal and professional alignment with the values of the Department and the UNM School of Medicine.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
Only applications submitted through the official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this job
advertisement on a 3rd party site, please visit UNMJobs to submit an application.
Please include a cover letter that describes your educational and professional background, lived experiences and alignment with the values of the Department and the UNM School of Medicine: https://hsc.unm.edu/medicine/about/mission.html. The cover letter may also include a description of work in the four domains listed above with a focus on activities which have made a demonstrated positive impact. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. For additional information, please contact Dr. Rachel Tuuri at RTuuri@salud.unm.edu or Amy Jameson at (505) 272-5150; ALJameson@salud.unm.edu.
For Best Consideration
For best consideration, please apply by 12/11/2023. This position will remain open until filled.