Cook I (Academic Year) (Multiple Positions) (Multiple Units) (UPDATED)
Posting Number: req13742
Department: Student Food Service
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Please Note: This position's Rate of Pay has been updated from $14.85 - $15.35 to $15.00 - $15.35 and this posting has been updated in its number of vacancies from 4 to 5.
The Arizona Student Unions is looking for talented entree cooks to work in our Production Kitchen and Dining Services areas located throughout the campus.
These are full time academic year positions. Academic staff members work from August through May and are off during the summer months.
As an Entree Cook you will be expected to create great tasting food with food safety in focus. You will be preparing food in many different forms using a unique combination of equipment. In this position, you may be required to work early mornings and/or late evening hours, including weekends.
The Student Union Memorial Center is one of the largest student unions in the United States. At a size of 405,000 square feet, SUMC contains everything students need.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision
insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave
and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and
qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans;
access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative
work-life programs. For more information about working at the
University of Arizona and relocations services, please click
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares food on hot or cold production line, adhering to
the recipe's method of preparation.
- Prepares food items from recipes for restaurant on a daily
- Sets up fryers, preps and cooks food as needed.
- Coordinates food preparation needs with supervisor and p.m. staff.
- Coordinates ordering needs with supervisor and p.m. staff.
- Performs food preparation tasks such as sandwich and salad
making and beverage preparation, following written standardized recipes.
- Cleans and processes fruits and vegetables according to
- Labels, dates, and stores fruits and vegetables in proper
- Assembles necessary ingredients to prepare orders.
- Labels and dates products.
- Assists cold food production when possible.
- Prevents cross contamination of food products.
- Weighs, labels, and dates all food items; stores in
- Cleans countertops, windows, walls, shelves, drain screens,
and floor mats.
- Cleans cooking utensils, grills, oven hoods, and other
equipment used in food preparation; ensure all utensils are properly stored.
- Empties sanitizer and takes out trash.
- Greets and serves customers in a friendly and courteous
- Works harmoniously with co-workers, supervisors, and
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of food service operations including large quantity food preparation.
- Knowledge of job content, practices, and procedures.
- Skills necessary to fully perform all aspects of the job.
- Skill in operating various institutional/commercial kitchen equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Frequently reaches, lifts, shakes, stirs, pours, carries, and pushes.
- Often withstand large workload under high heat.
- Must be able to transport/move a maximum of 60
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Experience in food service operation including large quantity food preparation.
- Experience operating various commercial kitchen equipment.
- Two years commercial or institutional cooking experience.
- ServSafe or other food safety certification.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Academic
Job Category: University Operations
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $15.00 - $15.35
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Culinary & Food Services
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 5
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.