Assistant Professor of Biology Education
Job ID: 265622
For more than 50 years, Kennesaw State University has been known for its entrepreneurial spirit and sense of community. A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State is located just north of Atlanta, and combines a suburban setting on two metro-Atlanta campuses in Kennesaw and Marietta. As one of Georgia's largest universities, Kennesaw State offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, including a growing number of doctoral programs. A member of the University System of Georgia, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2) committed to becoming a world-class academic institution positioned to broaden its academic and research missions and expand its scope on a local, regional and national level. For more information, visit kennesaw.edu.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Kennesaw State University is a large R2 institution with a broad student body (43,000 students, 52% underrepresented minorities, 38% first-generation, 34% Pell Grant eligible), placing it among the top 7% of research universities in the nation. The Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB) unites a multi-faceted and dynamic body of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to understanding molecular interactions and their outcomes across many scales, from the single-celled to the collective organization of multicellular organisms. The Department provides comprehensive education, internship, and research opportunities to our undergraduate student population and we are committed to supporting our extensive student population, while maintaining its culture of inclusion and instructional excellence. We believe in nurturing a growth mindset and celebrating all ideas and individuals as we expand our national footprint.
Kennesaw State University is now accepting applications for a full-time, nine-month, tenure track faculty position as Assistant Professor of Biology Education in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology that begins August 2024.
Successful candidates for this nine-month tenure-track position will be expected to:
- Teach biology courses, including lectures and/or laboratory sections each semester
- Contribute to graduate teaching, as needed
- Contribute to curriculum development to meet the needs and promote the success and retention of the diverse students whom we serve
- Perform research in the area of biology education that engages undergraduate and graduate students
- Publish findings in peer-reviewed journals appropriate to the field of biology education
- Establish an extramurally funded biology education research program
- Participate in professional service within the Department, the College of Science and Mathematics, the University and beyond
Teaching assignments will be based on earned degrees and SACSCOC Faculty Credentials Guidelines
- A Terminal/Doctorate degree, or the foreign equivalent, in Biology, Biology Education or a related discipline
- A record of peer-reviewed publications and/or preprints appropriate to the field of biology education
- Postdoctoral research experience in biology education
- Potential for or past success securing external funding
- A record of publishing research in biology education
- Previous experience teaching biology courses and labs in the university setting and mentoring students
- Previous experience with student-centered evidence-based teaching practices
Required Documents to Attach
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter (3-page limit)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (2-page limit)
- Proposed Biology Education Research Statement (3-page limit)
- Unofficial Transcripts (Official Transcripts and Official International Course-by-Course Evaluations Due Upon Hire)
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least 3 references
Apply Before Date
Application deadline is December 15, 2023.
For questions about this faculty opening, please contact Dr. Masafumi Yoshinaga, email@example.com, (470)-578-6604.
For technical support or assistance completing a job application, please contact the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about a specific job posting at Kennesaw State University, please contact the search chair listed under the contact information section on each posting. For general questions about faculty jobs please email email@example.com.