Extension Assistant I (Parker, AZ) (Part Time) (Extended Temporary)
Posting Number: req18302
Department: La Paz County Office
Location: County Extensions and Farms
Address: Parker, AZ USA
The position will assist the FRTEP Educator in establishing and maintaining the garden projects at various locations to ensure plants grow properly and the garden weed free. The position will also assist the FRTEP Educator in instructing students and community garden participants on how to take care of the garden, including fertilizer application and pest and weed control.
This is an Extended Temporary Employment (ETE) position.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish and Maintain the various garden projects of FRTEP including but not limited to, Le Pera School Garden, CRIT Head Start, CRIT Food Distribution Program, and the Demonstration Garden at the Extension Office. Activities include soil bed preparation, planting, weed and pest control, fertilizer application, irrigation system installation and maintenance, and harvesting.
- The position will also assist the FRTEP Extension Educator in instructing participants on how to properly prepare garden beds, sow seeds or transplant seedlings, apply fertilizer, and install irrigation equipment.
- Coordinate with School Garden Coordinator for school garden activities, and other tasks related to the program.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Vocational or technical training - Field of study: Gardening
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 20
Job FTE: .50
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Agriculture and Extension
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $15.00 - $18.75
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Agriculture & Extension
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Expected End Date: 1/1/2025
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.