Principal Accountant, Public Health
Posting Number: req18334
Department: Public Health Administration
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: Drachman Hall, 1295 N Martin Ave., Tucson, AZ 85724 USA
The Office of Financial Affairs and Physical Resources in Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health is seeking candidates for Principal Accountant. The ideal candidate has a professional demeanor, positive attitude, customer service, enjoys teamwork and learning new things and can communicate financial information to different stakeholders. As a member of the College's finance and administrative team, the selected candidate is expected to perform professional accounting activities in a complex, evolving and fast-paced environment and therefore must be flexible and adaptable.
The incumbent must have the ability to effectively assess and respond to customer needs and demonstrate strong organizational skills. This position requires expert knowledge and professional application of fund accounting principles, practices, and techniques in accordance with the policies and procedures of the UArizona and UAZ Foundation; as well as strong background in grants management. This successful candidate will work in a team-based environment under the supervision of the Senior Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the accounting & budget of the department and college account portfolios.
and reconcile accounts and approve financial transactions on State,
Local, Discretionary, Gift and Grant accounts within compliance rules,
generally accepted accounting principles, and guidelines of UArizona,
UAZ Foundation, Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) and Sponsorships.
complex journal entries to effectively track revenues and expenses,
facilitate financial reporting, and make corrections.
- Manage and
maintain complex personnel funding plans for employees by working with
faculty researchers, Department Heads, HR officer, and supervisor.
- Manage departmental procurement card and act as the liaison with Central Financial.
- Manage grants & contracts for the assigned departments and Principal Investigators (PIs).
- Monitor and approve grant expenditures to ensure alignment with budget and scope of work determined by sponsor.
frequent communication with PIs to plan spending and communicate
personnel changes with the College HR Officer in a timely manner.
the financial life cycle of grant projects, monitor award/contract
continuations and terminations, and follow-up with PIs to ensure proper
spending and smooth closeout.
- Work with PIs in managing subawards initiation, expenditures, continuations, and terminations.
- Manage budget, monitor spending, and produce financial reports for university or college funded projects.
- Prepare complex financial reports and provide recommendations to support decision making.
financial information and prepare specialized monthly reports and
complex grants reports for College, Department Leadership and PIs, so
the stakeholders have accurate and timely information to make financial
and programmatic decisions.
- Meet Department Chair and PIs regularly to examine financial reports, advise available funds, and provide recommendations.
- Provide training and collaborate effectively with stakeholders.
- Provide technical advice and services to administrators, faculty, staff, and students on business related matters.
with Central Offices, other units on campus, and external stakeholders
in solving issues and managing the finance of College/Departments/PI
- Provide training to new employees.
- Maintain equipment inventory records for College and/or Departments.
- Maintain accounting files for College and/or Departments.
pursue cross-training and professional development opportunities and
keep up to date with Federal, State, BOR, and University policies and
- When requested, prepare budgets, cost projections, and financial analyses / reports for college level projects and initiatives.
- Provide coverage to team members when needed.
- May supervise student workers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and procedures.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with others.
- Skill in performing detailed numerical computations.
- Skill in preparing complex financial reports on a timely basis.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, and internet-based applications.
- Always prepared to learn and adapt to the changing needs of University, College, and Department operations.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Experience working with UArizona's Financial, Employee, Research, and Analytics Reporting systems.
- Working knowledge of UArizona's accounting policies, procedures, and practices.
- Experience in grants and contracts management and federal cost principles.
- Experience in gift portfolio and scholarship management.
- Experience working in higher education.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Finance
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $65,687 - $75,000, annuallly, DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
JIng Liu, Senior Assistant Dean | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.