Registrar Office Specialist
Sweet Briar is a liberal arts college for women with a long history of forging female leaders. Sweet Briar College is repeatedly named by the U.S. News and World Report as one of the most innovative liberal arts colleges in the nation. Sweet Briar College is growing rapidly, attracting students who are drawn to it for its excellent liberal arts program, coupled with distinctive programs in women leadership, engineering, sustainability, arts and its legendary equestrian program. Its finances are robust, and validated by balanced budget and positive bond ratings.
Located in the foothills of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains approximately 12 miles north of Lynchburg and 54 miles south of Charlottesville. Its campus is one of the nation’s most spectacular, replete with nature sanctuaries, lakes, forests, trails, and most recently, vineyards, apiary and greenhouses.
The College boasts a modern core curriculum focused on women's leadership in the 21st century and undergraduate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities, as well as a Master of Arts in Teaching. It is one of only two women’s colleges in the United States with an ABET-accredited engineering degree. The women’s leadership core curriculum is innovative and energizing.
When students graduate, they are persuasive communicators who know how to think on their feet and bring people together. No matter what they study or where they go, Sweet Briar women are prepared to lead. The campus community is a family of faculty, staff, coaches, and alumnae who support and encourage students and each other. With a student-to-faculty ratio of 8 to 1, students lead research, ask questions and forge supportive relationships with faculty that can last for decades.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Job Title: Registrar Office Specialist
Classification: 12-month, full-time, hourly, non-exempt, and benefits eligible staff position
Reports To: Registrar
The incumbent assists the Registrar with the daily operations of the Office of the Registrar and serves as the first point of contact for callers and visitors.
Position Type/Expected Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. May be required to work extended or non-standard hours based on project or business needs. Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends is required.
- Works collaboratively with the Registrar to determine procedures and policies and the delivery of office services including registration, enrollment and degree verifications, term set up, final exam administration, and diploma printing;
- Assists with the maintenance, documentation, and coordination of multiple reporting systems, student enrollment reporting with the National Student Clearinghouse, and electronic transcript service;
- Prepares the schedule of courses for current and future terms and works with faculty members to ensure academic scheduling policies are adhered to;
- Assists with reports required by college administrators, faculty, and government agencies;
- Assists with the maintenance of databases and the data integrity of student records;
- Provides support to students and faculty; and
- Hires and manages at least one student worker as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution;
- Demonstrated strong technology and computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google (including Mail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Forms and Drive);
- Skills and friendly disposition to manage the day-to-day activities in a busy, student facing office;
- Ability to analyze and interpret data;
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple tasks/projects concurrently under tight deadlines;
- Excellent attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- At least 2 years of experience in higher education;
- Experience working in a Registrar’s Office; and
- Working knowledge of student systems (Banner) and Argos reporting software.
Work Environment: Office environment that includes frequent interruptions and task deadlines
Physical Demands: Extended periods of sitting/standing/walking may be required. Occasionally lift, carry, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
Travel: Occasional travel (including overnight) for professional meetings and conferences
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit the Sweet Briar College Career Center: https://sbc.edu/human-resources/faculty-staff-job-openings/. All applications should include: 1) cover letter; 2) resume; (3) a one-page statement highlighting contributions to or future plans for promoting diversity and inclusion through work in this position; and 4) the names and full contact information for three professional references. The materials should be assembled to a single pdf and loaded into the job application portal. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.