Biology Technician - Department of Biochemistry
West Virginia University Research Corporation is currently accepting applications for a Biology Technician with the Department of Biochemistry
About the Opportunity
The West Virginia University Imaging Facility is looking for a highly motivated individual to assist in the daily operations of the Microscope Imaging Facility. Once trained, this individual will be responsible for the training, operation, maintenance, and calibrations of specific imaging systems. Previous experience in microscopy is highly desired, but not required.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
* 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
* 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
* A range of health insurance and various other benefits
* Dependent Education Scholarship
* WVU Perks
* And More!!
What you'll do:
- Provide assistance to the staff in the Microscope Imaging.
- Maintain equipment, including cleaning and routine maintenance.
- Perform monthly quality control on facility instruments.
- Maintain lab space, ensuring the space is clean and stocked with supplies. Dispose of waste according to university policy.
- Train facility users in proper microscope usage according to protocols. Update imaging protocols as needed. Sharing of knowledge with other lab personnel is expected.
- Learn different methods of image analysis, including FIJI, Nikon Elements, and Imaris, and assist facility users with the development of custom analysis workflows.
- Maintain accurate records of income and expenses, prepare billing for the facility.
- Perform ordering for the facility.
- Communicates clearly with supervisor and with colleagues in the lab; participate in discussions with investigators.
- Assist with the publication of the facility's newsletter.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or related science field.
- A minimum of 0-1 years of experience working in a research laboratory involving animal work or microscopy; Or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Detailed knowledge of laboratory environment and appropriate procedures.
- Ability to evaluate and perform surgery on animals.
- Highly skilled at using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Highly skilled at using related laboratory equipment.
- Skilled at using computers and applicable programs/applications, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong time management and workload skills.
- Maintains skills in, or knowledge of, professional principles, legal and/or reporting requirements affecting area of responsibility.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to search, read, and interpret scientific periodicals and professional journals, especially as pertains to extracting experimental protocols.
- Ability to write reports and record procedures in lab notebooks and in computerized documents.
- Ability to effectively respond to questions from supervisor and lab mates.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Due to the nature of this job, it may or may not require Medical Monitoring
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Nov 14, 2023
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes