Student Services Director of Counseling & Advising
North Central Texas College is accepting applications for: Student Services Director of Counseling & Advising: Gainesville Campuse: Full-Time: Benefits Eligible: Salary is $75,614
The Student Services Director of Counseling & Advising plays a crucial role in ensuring the success and well-being of students at an educational institution. Their responsibilities encompass a wide range of tasks and areas of focus, including:
1. Setting the Tone for Success: The director sets the tone for the institution's advising and counseling services. This involves establishing a culture of support, empathy, and academic success to create an environment where students feel valued and encouraged.2. Overseeing mental health, wellness, and suicide prevention and training as a responsibility that requires a comprehensive and compassionate approach.
3. Direct Supervision and Development of Counseling and Advising Staff: The director is responsible for managing and overseeing the counseling and advising staff. This includes hiring, training, and providing ongoing professional development for counselors and advisors to ensure they are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively assist students.
4. Partnerships and Training with Staff and Faculty: Building and nurturing partnerships with other departments, staff, and faculty is vital. The director may collaborate with academic departments, career services, and other student support services to provide a holistic support system for students. Training for staff and faculty in advising-related matters may also fall under their purview.
5. Oversight and Continual Evaluation: The director must have a keen eye on the advising and counseling services' performance and effectiveness. Regularly assessing and evaluating advising practices and programs to identify areas for improvement is a critical responsibility.
6. Retention and Advising-Related Activities: The director is responsible for overseeing all activities related to student retention and academic advising. This includes designing and implementing programs and strategies to support students in their academic journey, assisting with course selection, addressing personal and academic challenges, and ensuring students stay on track to meet their educational goals.
In summary, the Student Services Director of Counseling & Advising is a key figure in shaping the educational experience of students at NCTC. Their role involves leadership, supervision, collaboration, and a strong commitment to student success and well-being. By effectively carrying out these responsibilities, they can contribute to the overall success and satisfaction of students at the institution.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct and oversee all advising processes and procedures for direct and indirect staff for the district in order to provide consistent advising services leading to academic and personal goal completion for students.
- Determine timelines for retention and advising initiatives and outreach efforts to implement at crucial points through the year based on data trends and student needs (i.e., early registration periods, waitlists, withdrawals, major changes, enrollment in courses outside of degree plan/major).
- Coordinate and develop ongoing training for all staff and faculty related to advising, enrollment, retention, wellness, and student success.
- Oversee all advising and resource-related communications, insure timely responses and honor requests sent via all of these methods-advising email and text message accounts as well as Canvas group.
- Utilize technology and data-driven solutions to enhance the delivery and accessibility of advising and counseling services.
- Serve and/or chair committees and grant projects, which elevate strategies to increase retention, completion and transfer rates, and overall student success.
- Create and maintain partnerships with Instructional Divisions in order to identify areas from improved outcomes and accuracy of all academic and technical pathways and majors
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategic plan for academic advising and counseling services, aligned with the college’s mission and goals.
- Develop and implement proactive interventions to identify and address barriers to student success.
- Budgetary Responsibilities: Develop and manage the budget for the advising and counseling department, ensuring efficient allocation of resources to meet departmental goals.
- Developing Policies and Procedures: Establish clear and comprehensive policies and procedures related to mental health, wellness, and suicide prevention. Ensure that these policies align with relevant laws and regulations and are communicated effectively to all stakeholders.
- Crisis Intervention: Develop a crisis intervention plan to address immediate concerns and emergencies. Establish protocols for responding to individuals at risk of self-harm and coordinate with relevant emergency services.
- Other duties as assigned. Responsibilities and duties may change based on the needs of the department and the institution.
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Education, Human Services, Social Work, or closely related field.
LPC, NCC, or equivalent licensure/certification required
- Three (3) Management and Supervision
- Three (3) years Direct Student Affairs/Services
- Three (3) years of experience in counseling or student advising
- Three or more years of counseling experience in a community college.
- Five years experience in counseling or student advising
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of Jenzabar/J1 Desktop, J1 Advising, J1 Registration
- Knowledge of Canvas online learning management system
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Adobe Reader
- Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple assignments with deadlines
- Acting and communicating in a professional manner
- Can work both independently and as part of a team, across divisions and departments
- Ability to work under pressure and make decisions during times of heavy workloads and timelines
- Knowledge of college and departmental policies, procedures, safety and regulations
- Knowledge of general admissions, records, financial aid, advising, student accounts, and the relationship between each process
- Experience with Front Page and web development preferred
Subject to criminal background check. Resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcript required in addition to application. Salary is $75,614. Based on the Gainesville Campus.
Travel between campuses is to be expected.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE