President, Mercy College of Ohio
The President, Mercy College of Ohio is responsible for leading, overseeing, and supervising all areas of the institution’s operations. The President establishes and executes strategic direction in an effective and efficient manner that supports all institutional stakeholders (students, faculty/staff, community, and board members) in alignment with BSMH and Mercy College’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
Essential Job Functions
- In partnership with BSMH and College leadership, articulates a strategic vision and long-term goals that align the College mission, Catholic identity, BSMH core values, and workforce strategies.
- Assesses the healthcare workforce landscape and emerging trends to ensure the institution meets workforce needs in collaboration with BSMH leadership.
- Enhances academic programs through continuing curriculum review/assessment, recognizing existing strengths, and furthering the development of learning communities.
- Implements structures to support efficient operations and ensures the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies are consistent with the mission, core values, and purposes of the institution and BSMH.
- Exhibits strong leadership and managerial skills in overseeing a diverse team of senior leaders.
- Fosters a cohesive and high-performing team through guidance, coaching, and support.
- Acts as the voice of the institution both internally and externally and serves as a liaison with the communities served through participation and response to community needs relevant to nursing and health sciences education.
- Promotes partnerships and identifies synergies with constituents in other BSMH educational institutions as well as external educational, professional, and business communities.
- Oversees internal partnerships and the effective use of clinical and structural resources.
- Maintains effective communications with the Board of Trustees, faculty, students, and other College personnel and advises the Board of Trustees in matters concerning institutional purpose, values, programs, management, and finance.
- Possesses strong fundraising skills to secure external endowments and funding to support the College’s mission and financial goals.
- Cultivates relationships with donors, alumni, community members, and key stakeholders.
- Provides leadership and guidance on planning, budgeting, financial management, and institutional and program accreditation requirements.
- Develops and implements effective financial strategies to support College needs.
- Utilizes data-driven decision-making to inform resource allocation, policy development, areas for improvement, and evidence-based solutions.
- Leads and supports the integration of information technology into the entire life of the College, especially the curriculum.
- Remains current with the changing trends in education, professional practice, legal affairs, and health care.
- Facilitates communication and engages stakeholders to ensure successful organizational change.
- This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Minimum Employment Requirements
- Required Minimum Education: Post Graduate Degree (PhD, EdD, DHSc, etc.)
- Minimum Years and Type of Experience Required: 5+ years experience in higher education progressive leadership roles, preferably in clinical settings
- Minimum Years and Type of Experience Preferred: 10+ years in a multi-site higher education campus environment
- Position requires thorough knowledge of the rules and regulations of the state authorizing bodies and accrediting institutions.
- Position requires the ability to lead and administer the activities of the College, and build strong relationships and programs to support workforce pipeline and strategy.
- Position requires significant academic and administrative experience in higher education in addition to facilitating communication and engaging stakeholders to ensure successful organizational change.
- Ability to work effectively to uphold, support, articulate, and extend the mission of Bon Secours Mercy Health and the College.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly with all campus, system, and community constituencies.
- Self-confidence by example, strong leadership and managerial skills with a collaborative style and proven ability to delegate.
- Personal qualities of character and high ethical, moral, and professional values.
- Collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, students, and alumni and understanding of changing student demographics.