Senior Web Engineer, IT
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College.
*Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
Staff Vacancy Announcement
Information Technology (IT) invites applications for a Senior Web Engineer to assess, architect, coordinate, manage, implement, and maintain the Cascade CMS environment and custom full-stack programming projects for the UM campus in collaboration with: business stakeholders, users and IT units. The Senior Web Engineer will provide ongoing system analysis during the project lifecycle in conjunction with project stakeholders to transform abstract business goals into system requirements that can be implemented within the project timeline through an Agile project management process. In this role you will, in accordance with UM Enterprise IT standards, determine: software architecture, team workflow, and technologies used to meet these goals.
The Senior Web Engineer will be expected to help design and supervise the lifecycle of websites, databases, and application hosting, ensuring that systems are up to date and secure. Projects include complex multi-user, database-driven applications that house confidential information, including: GLBA, FERPA and PCI-DSS regulated data that must meet University policy as well as State and Federal regulations, primarily including (but not limited to) data security/retention and accessibility. This position will need to understand compliance requirements and specific technical processes needed to achieve that compliance.
- Facilitate the Agile development process for WTS software development
- Engineer technical architecture for Cascade CMS implementation, including the global site template, hosting environment, and coding standards for plug-ins
- Engineer technical architecture for custom application development and hosting using PHP, MySQL, Bootstrap, jQuery, and ReactJS
- Collaborate with stakeholders in person, phone, or email
- Implementing manual and automated test cases
- Identify; remove or report obstacles to the Web Manager when necessary
- Assign development work and tasks, establish deadlines and success criteria
- Coordinate schedules, solve routine daily problems, and guide the team in self-organizing practices
- Be primarily responsible for ongoing support requests for existing custom applications and provide timely fixes to software defects
- Triage issues, and build/apply fixes with architectural improvements to maintain code quality
- Defect resolutions, when practical, will be resolved and tested by automated regression testing to prevent recurrence of the defect
- Actively participate in entire project process from analysis through production, testing, deployment, and maintenance
- Assist and train users in the day-to-day operations of software
- Provide written documentation on an ongoing basis that ensures future programming team members will be able to modify, deploy, and upgrade the application, in addition to explaining it to end users at an overview and detail-oriented level.
- Responsible for overall accessibility of custom software that meets UM's accessibility policy requirements
- Responsible for the security of application code
- Work with system administrators to coordinate server infrastructure changes that are required for the proper functioning of hosted applications
- Other duties as assigned
- Cybersecurity awareness and compliance with UM Cybersecurity standards and practices. This also involves due-diligence and consultation with Cybersecurity experts for changes to UM’s web eco-system
- Ability to deliver software development projects using Agile principles and tools
- Proficiently develop web applications using the following technologies:
- Source control
- Ability to write, run, and troubleshoot Unit Tests according to principles of Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex configurations in on-premises and cloud compute resources
- Proficient at developing using the Model View Controller design pattern
- Understanding of the Document Object Model (DOM) within modern browsers
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration practices
- Serve as an effective developer in a team, and also for occasional solo projects
- Ability to Pair Program
- Ability to use standard office and development tools, such as:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- An appropriate IDE for PHP development
- Command line interaction with Linux
- Written and verbal expertise to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in software requirements as driven by an Agile process
- Demonstrated ability to version control source code using a DVCS such as Git, including the use of feature branching and Bitbucket repository management using Pull Requests
- Demonstrated ability to self-organize to accomplish the Sprint goal, producing each new Product Increment according to each Sprint Plan
- Ability to fully and effectively document applications according to UM IT standards
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering (or equivalent degree or experience) plus two (2) years of experience developing complex web applications and at least one (1) year experience with leading agile project management
- Minimum degree requirement plus three to five (3-5) years of experience as a web engineer
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Capable of developing complex applications from start to finish according to office and campus standards with minimal guidance, including a high level of proficiency in:
- Experience developing applications using the following frameworks:
- RESTful design patterns.
- Experience with API design.
- Experience with Object Oriented Design Patterns including Model View Controller and Model View ViewModel
- Identifying common Code Smells.
- Form validation.
- Mitigating common security issues identified in the OWASP Top 10 list that relate to software development.
- Database interaction with SQL queries and ORMS.
- Test Driven Development (TDD) workflow, including the effective use of:
- Continuous Integration, including the management of a Continuous Integration server.
- Possess knowledge of applicable policies, laws, and regulations (including, but not limited to, GLBA, FERPA, WCAG 2.X and PCI-DSS) and ability to deliver a codebase that conforms to those requirements.
- Possess familiarity with Content Management Systems, enabling use of the University's enterprise Web Content Management System (Cascade Server), including:
- Creation and management of custom components such as Data Definitions, Asset Factories, Templates, Configuration Sets, and Content Types
- Cascade Server content hosting configuration.
- Dependency Injection.
- Running tasks from the command line.
About Information Technology (IT) and UM
Working under the Enterprise Technologies Office within IT, the Web Technologies Office coordinates web sites and web related activities for UM’s campus and maintains the web presence for the institution. The Web Technologies Office is led by the Manager of Web Technology Services. IT at UM is a campus service organization that provides computing and communication resources in support of the instructional, research, administrative, and public service activities of The University of Montana. IT maintains and operates complex information systems to support the University's administrative activities and offers a variety of technology support services to assist the University in using the resources and services that IT is responsible for providing.
UM IT is organized into four major units of service delivery:
- Enterprise Technology (ET), responsible for application/web development, enterprise cloud information systems, database administration, enterprise project management, and ERP administration for Student, Finance and Human Resource systems.
- Cyberinfrastructure, responsible for IT facilities, datacenters/servers, classroom technology, central authentication, directory/email services, campus network infrastructure, telephone system and UM's network connectivity across Montana.
- Client Experience, responsible for a variety of client support services including support services, UM IT Helpdesk, PC/Desktop/Laptop provisioning, software licensing, classroom technology support and computer lab management.
- Information Security, responsible for information security policies and procedures, security awareness training, security incident response, identity management, coordinating risk assessments with UM and MUS colleagues, and managing UM’s information security program.
The University of Montana is a flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000 people, surrounded by mountains and where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and Montana please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- Video: Mission First, People Always
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Senior Web Engineer
Position Number: 000430
Department: Information Technology
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week),
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Sunday, December 3, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.Position Type