Facilities Associate, UM Housing
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana - Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College.
*Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.Staff Vacancy Announcement
UM Housing invites applications for a Facilities Associate to join their team.
This position performs intermediate to advanced custodial duties, including, but not limited to, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, floor stripping and refinishing, trash removal, and sanitizing; and performs general maintenance, including, but not limited to, changing light bulbs and filters and supplying paper products and soap. Additional duties include specialty cleaning as it pertains to the work unit or area and seasonal cleaning work. This position on occasion provides supervision to student custodians who are hired during summer & winter breaks to help with the cleaning of our facilities. This position will provide leadership to the temporary student custodians by offering support, organization, and guidance.
- Learn and master the specific custodial needs of the work area.
- Request supplies and/or stock supplies from central supply.
- Inform supervisor of observed problems and handle the more routine.
- Report or request repairs to facility.
- Report equipment maintenance needs.
This position provides direct customer service to members of the campus and to the community at large; builds and maintains a work atmosphere of trust and respect by establishing open communication among team members, recognizing the value of individual differences at all levels of the organization, taking steps to prevent destructive conflict and handling conflict in an appropriate manner, listening and responding appropriately to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of all individuals, and providing support and assistance to team members;Required Skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain a safe work environment
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment; and with a diverse population
- Create and maintain a work atmosphere of trust and respect with all team members
- Ability to exercise leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to write, read instructions, safety information, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated skill in customer service orientation
- Demonstrated interpersonal, listening, and oral communication skills
- Ability to be organized and effectively manage time
- Ability to perform seasonal/cyclical cleaning work.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lifting: Floor to 30 inches, 50#. Floor to 60 inches, 35#. Floor to 72 inches, 20#. Floor to overhead, 5# sustained, with both hands. (Lifting buffer, Floor to 30", 70# optional.)
- Carrying: 2 handed front carry 35# for 50 feet. One or 2 handed carry of 40# up and down stairs. (Carrying buffer up stairs, 70# optional.)
- Pushing and pulling forces required (handling linen cart 45#, during the use of cleaning equipment 25#, handling janitor's cart 5#).
- Pushing and pulling forces required (handling, pushing and pulling classroom and office furniture, file cabinets, and equipment): 30# sustained at waist level (60# peak)
- Static trunk forward bending and twisting from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Reaching with your arms in all directions, including overhead with 5# in both hands, sustained.
- Working overhead (sustained) from various positions (standing, squatting, and kneeling).
- Occasional climbing of stairs, carrying cleaning supplies and equipment, weighing up to 40#.
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder.
- Use of various hand grip circumferences and firm hand grip positions while manipulating various tools and equipment (maximum 50#).
- This position on occasion provides supervision to 1-6 student custodians who are hired during summer & winter breaks to help with the cleaning of our facilities. This position will provide leadership to the temporary student custodians by offering support, organization, and guidance.
- Ability to drive a 15-person van.
Physical Screen will be administered prior to a final offer of employment.Minimum Required Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent and one (1) year related cleaning experience; or a combination of education and experience.
UM Housing provides safe, clean, healthy and affordable living and learning facilities for students, staff, faculty, visitors and guests. We provide services in these facilities in a way that supports and nurtures each person's experience at the University of Montana.
The University of Montana is a flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000 people, surrounded by mountains and where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of "mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Facilities Associate
Position Number: NEW
Department: UM Housing
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week),
7:30am - 4:00pm two consecutive days off, 12 months/year
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans' or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
The position will remain OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest - addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as "Dear Search Committee" or "Dear Hiring Manager" is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume - listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References - names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.Position Type