Academic Advisor II, College of Business Graduate Program
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
The College of Business (COB) Graduate Program invites applications for an Academic Advisor II to serve as a professional advisor for the diverse population of graduate students on an appointment and walk-in basis. In this position you will collaborate with administration, faculty, and staff to ensure student success. The College of Business offers the only MBA program in Montana, one of the first Masters of Science in Business Analytics programs in the region, and the only AACSB-accredited Masters of Accountancy in the state. This position aims to work with students throughout their education to help them identify and reach their career goals after graduation.
As a 10-month staffing position, responsibilities include:
- Conduct advising appointments, demonstrating in-depth knowledge of graduate academic curricula, academic policies and services, and resources for students at the University of Montana.
- Work with a diverse population of students and develop an understanding of their academic needs.
- Collaborate with Graduate School, Gianchetta Student Success Center, and registrars regarding program requirements, transfer credits, substitutions, and registration.
- Review student records, document appointments, and track student progress.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of advising-related materials and website content.
- Manage current student communications.
- Assist with re-recruitment/retention efforts.
- Maintain student database / CRM (HubSpot).
- Assist the Graduate Program Manager and COB Event Manager with graduate event planning.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with students, staff, faculty and administration.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written listening and feedback skills.
- Knowledge in the use of computer software programs, including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook, and ability to learn related software applications.
- Ability to listen and demonstrate patience in determining student situations and how best to effectively support and provide critical, accurate, consistent, and timely information.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals and create and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work independently while providing attention to detail and accurate record-keeping.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing work demands.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- A professional and personable demeanor.
- Ability to gather, evaluate, and report data.
- Ability to manage occasionally stressful or difficult situations while maintaining composure.
- Ability to evaluate various student transcripts.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with academic advising.
The University of Montana is a flagship research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Academic Advisor II
Position Number: 079300
Department: College of Business
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Academic Year (10 months/year, August through May),
Salary: $19.03/hr Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday, November 27, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
**Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.Position Type