Recreation and Wellness Coordinator
The recreation and wellness coordinator will assume responsibility for all phases of recreation and wellness operations and programs. The incumbent will also be responsible to support the work that occurs within the larger student life department.
Reports to: Director of Student Experience
- Completed baccalaureate degree in health and exercise science, kinesiology, or closely related field OR completed associate degree in health and exercise science, kinesiology, or closely related field plus two years of professional level experience coordinating fitness activities in a diverse setting.
- Nationally recognized certification in personal training or group exercise.
- Two years of experience in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated experience employing cultural responsiveness to promote broad engagement within the student body.
- Experience supervising staff in a multi-shift, high-paced setting.
Professional level experience is defined by the Colorado Division of Human Resources: A position that involves the exercise of discretion, analytical skill, judgment, personal accountability, and responsibility for creating, developing, integrating, applying, or sharing an organized body of knowledge. Colorado revised statute (C.R.S. 24-50-135(1) allows colleges to exempt positions from the State Personnel Classified System that are determined to be professional level work.
- Experience with membership tracking software (i.e. Navigate or other tracking software)
- Experience with accounts payable billing.
- Experience working with and reconciling multiple budgets for different areas.
- Experience with club sports and intramurals.
- Familiarity with purchasing procedure to include bid processes.
- Experience assessing program effectiveness in a student service setting.
- Experience working in or partnering with a diverse range of student service departments (e.g., accommodative services, financial aid, academic advising).
- Community college experience in the administration of recreation and wellness programs.
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent Spanish.
Salary range is $47,000.00 to $49,000.00 annual gross. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by 4:00 p.m. on November 27, 2023. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Must be a State of Colorado resident or able to relocate to Colorado prior to first date of employment.
Application Instructions: Application must be submitted online. Incomplete applications may not receive full consideration. A complete application will include:
- Cover letter - Address the minimum and preferred qualifications in the order listed on the job announcement.
- Resume - Reflect experience, education, knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Unofficial Transcripts - Unofficial transcripts for all degrees conferred. Official transcripts are required if hired for the position.
- Professional References - Provide names and contact information for three recent professional references who can address your expertise and background for this position.
This position may be eligible for a variety of employee benefits. Pikes Peak State College participates in the Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA) contribution rates.
Note: Prior submission of application materials will not be considered.
- Responsible for assuring fitness center operations, to include equipment maintenance, repair and replacement, assessment, and evaluation of equipment needs and met and maintained.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the fitness center and satellite recreation areas, including hiring, training, oversight of all fitness center staff, and monitoring the fitness center budget.
- Provide daily, hands-on instruction and development opportunities for student staff through on-going training, coaching, and performance evaluations.
- Supervising study employees, setting up schedules, review and coordinate work shifts, approve timesheets.
- Maintain ongoing and create new recreation and sports programming such as club team sports, drop-in programs, intramurals, and special event programming, particularly related to co-curricular events that are in alignment with the college’s strategic plan.
- Market programming to a diverse student body, including underrepresented students and students with disabilities.
- Actively participate in college-wide assessment initiatives, to include providing leadership in assessment work accomplished within student services.
- Review incoming scheduling requests, review for possible scheduling conflicts, and schedule facility space according to policies and procedures.
- Prioritize safety and risk management at all times.
- Maintains awareness of best practices, emerging trends and new legislation of policies and procedures relating to recreation and wellness.
General Duties, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Cultural competence and demonstrated evidence, understanding, and commitment to the concepts of diversity, multiculturalism, and their application in the workplace.
- Knowledge of managing a fitness center.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
- Strong customer service background.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise employees.
- Knowledge of current fitness concepts and equipment.
- Maintain currency in fitness trends, topics, and risk management.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage, and execute events.
- Direct advisory work with student government association.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office.
This job description reflects Pikes Peak State College’s best effort to describe the essential duties and qualifications of the job. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation.
EEO Statement: Pikes Peak State College is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act institution. We value diversity, strive for a more unified campus where all people are valued, treated fairly, and possess a sense of belonging. Pikes Peak State College encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.