Director of Financial Assistance (23-63)
Francis Marion University and the Department of Enrollment Management invite applications for the position of Director of Financial Assistance. Under the general direction of the Vice President for Enrollment Management, the Director of Financial Assistance provides direct supervision of the award process for scholarships, grants in aid, state financial aid resources, and the Title IV Federal Student Financial Aid Programs while providing leadership for a student-centered customer service office which advises and counsels students and parents regarding eligibility and availability of student financial aid through institutional, state, federal, and private sources. The Director also designs and implements services for financial aid resources, debt management, financial aid literacy, and services that will streamline the overall financial aid application process for students.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Providing leadership and coordination of all financial aid functions.
· Analyzing and compiling statistical data.
· Completing quarterly and annual reports as required.
· Participating in accreditation and state licensing reviews.
· Participating in student financial assistance counseling as needed.
· Overseeing daily activities in the Financial Assistance office’
· Assisting with entrance and exit counseling regarding student loans.
· Exercising professional judgment in authorizing appropriate changes in financial aid awards.
· Ensuring university compliance with Federal, State & Accreditation regulations.
· Serving as a key member of the Enrollment Management team.
· Evaluating employees on a regular basis.
· Ensuring that Financial Assistance Counselors remain current with respect to knowledge of federal, state, and institutional financial assistance guidelines.
· Supervising and coordinates the processing of federal student financial aid applications.
· Provides regular training and support for financial aid staff aware of policy changes as they occur so that job duties are performed with little or no error.
· Participating in recruitment and orientation events, educating prospective and incoming students about financial assistance opportunities and processes at the university.
· Evaluating applications for student financial aid, processing documentation as it is received and performing manual analyses of need as necessary.
· Awarding federal, state, and private grants, loans, and work programs within specified guidelines, ensuring updates are made to reflect issuance of aid.
· Collaborating with the Office of Admissions, Office of the Registrar, and other units on campus to ensure completion mission-critical functions.
· Participating in special projects as initiated by the Vice President for Enrollment Management.
· Other duties as assigned.
FMU Preferred Qualifications:
· Master’s Degree in a relevant area.
· Experience providing financial aid advising and counseling to university students.
· Experience in multiple offices/units in a higher education environment.
· Comprehensive knowledge of financial aid, including all components of the federal financial aid system. This includes working knowledge of Federal Department of Education Financial Aid Programs, specifically Direct Loans, Return to Title IV Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress.
· Commitment to providing quality assistance to a socio-economically diverse student population.
· Demonstrated ability to provide innovative responsiveness to problem-solving within a team environment.
· Process-oriented approach to prioritizing and managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
· Can exercise good judgment when faced with difficult decisions.
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
· Strong technical skills, including Microsoft Office, especially Excel required. Experience with Ellucian Colleague, Informer, Department of Education Web Applications are strongly preferred.
· Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Francis Marion University continues to be recognized as a Great Colleges to Work For® Honor Roll School by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Application materials should include:
1. Letter of Interest (Referencing Position Number 23-63).
2. Copies of all transcripts (official transcripts will be required of the successful candidate).
4. The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references; and
5. FM Staff Application.
To obtain the FMU Staff Application, please click here.
Send Application Packet to: Dr. Charlene Wages, Vice President for Administration and Planning, Francis Marion University, PO Box 100547, Florence, SC 29502-0547, or FAX to (843) 661-1202.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
As Francis Marion University has continued to be recognized for its diverse student body, it especially welcomes applicants who can affirm and enhance its mission.
Applicants honorably discharged from a branch of the United States Armed Forces, who meet the minimum training and experience requirements, are given employment preference by all State agencies and higher education institutions in SC.