Academic Advisor II (Mentor Coordinator)
Academic Advisor II/Mentor Coordinator
Department: TRIO Student Support Services
Position: Full-Time/11 Month position
Wage: $17.50 Union Affiliation: FOCUS
- Insurance package,
- Mandatory retirement plan,
- Dependent partial tuition waiver,
- Faculty/staff tuition waiver
- Wellness program:
The Academic Advisor II/Mentor Coordinator responsibilities:
- Coordinate with other staff on the delivery of program services to participants.
- Manage assigned caseload of participant services (i.e., advising, tracking academic degree progress, keeping records, making referrals, providing retention services, etc.).
- Implement new non-academic services to improve retention among TRIO SSS students.
- Coordinate the peer mentor program which includes recruiting, training, and organizing a group of upper-class students working with first-time freshman.
- Input grant data into Access program in a timely manner.
- Participate in assigned campus committees.
- Develop communication plans with students.
- Interpret academic rules and regulations.
- Refer students to other campus resources.
- Serve as a liaison with faculty on advising and other related issues.
- Work as part of the larger UMW Student Success team to implement best practices for retaining students.
- Assist the Director with other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must possess:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience counseling/mentoring students.
- Ability to implement new non-academic services to students to improve retention.
- Working knowledge of university academic policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and customer service and leadership skills.
- Proficiency with various software, including but not limited to MS office and integrated software systems.
- Excellent public relations, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Strong organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills as well as the ability to meet deadlines in a busy environment with attention to detail.
- Experience working under pressure, handling conflicts, making decisions and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others.
- Demonstrated ability to assist with short-range and long-term planning.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality and work on projects independently.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of TRIO programs
- Experience providing academic advising to students regarding class choices and programs of study.
- Experience working with low-income, first generation, and/or students with disabilities.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Montana University System entrance requirements, application procedures, and financial aid opportunities
- One year of post-baccalaureate professional experience
- Experience with program coordination
- Experience with student software programs
- Experience with learning management systems
- Background similar to the majority of participants (from low-income or first-generation family)
The University and Dillon Area
The University of Montana Western is a dynamic, innovative, undergraduate university with over 70 full-time faculty and over 1,200 students. It is located in Dillon, Montana in the scenic Rocky Mountains and has been awarded numerous top national rankings for delivering high quality, affordable education.
Montana Western is the only public four-year college in the nation offering Experience One (X1), experiential learning delivered on the block schedule. Class sizes are small and students take a single course at a time, three hours each day for 18 days, before moving on to the next course. Each course is four credits and four blocks are offered each semester. The block schedule facilitates field and lab work, undergraduate research, study travel, and interdisciplinary teaching. Montana Western’s faculty strongly believe in mentoring and inspiring students, and assisting them in the transition from university life to professional careers.
The University of Montana Western is an integral part of the Dillon Community. With a population of 5,000 people, Dillon is known for outstanding public schools, safe environments, recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The University of Montana Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities. Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UMW may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UMW, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will close November 1, 2023.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest– addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Curriculum Vitae/Detailed Resume
- Official or Unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts (Official transcripts will be required at time of hire)
- Professional References– names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
**Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.Position Type