Student Engagement Coordinator
Sweet Briar is a liberal arts college for women with a long history of forging female leaders. After a near closure in 2015, the College was saved by its alumnae and underwent dramatic transformation. Today Sweet Briar College is repeatedly named by the US News and World Report as one of the most innovative liberal arts colleges in the nation. Sweet Briar College is financially stable and actively growing again, attracting students who are drawn to it for its excellent liberal arts program, coupled with distinctive programs in women leadership, engineering, sustainability, arts and its legendary equestrian program.
Located in the foothills of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains approximately 12 miles north of Lynchburg and 54 miles south of Charlottesville. Its campus is one of the nation’s most spectacular, replete with nature sanctuaries, lakes, forests, trails, and most recently, vineyards, apiary and greenhouses.
The College boasts a modern core curriculum focused on women's leadership in the 21st century and undergraduate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities, as well as a Master of Arts in Teaching. It is one of only two women’s colleges in the United States with an ABET-accredited engineering degree. The women’s leadership core curriculum is innovative and energizing. When students graduate, they are persuasive communicators who know how to think on their feet and bring people together. No matter what they study or where they go, Sweet Briar women are prepared to lead. The campus community is a family of faculty, staff, coaches, and alumnae who support and encourage students and each other. With an average class size of eight students, students lead research, ask questions and forge supportive relationships with faculty that can last for decades.
The Student Engagement Coordinator is responsible for providing an exciting and engaging student life experience through a variety of programs and activities. The incumbent will work closely with campus clubs, organizations, and communities to support student leadership through student involvement on campus.
- Provide support to student clubs and organizations, serving as the advisor to the Inter-Club Council.
- Lead the Student Events Committee to facilitate well-organized club programming.
- Facilitate regular student life programming efforts to include, but not limited to: Weeks of Welcome, Founders’ Day and the Founders’ Day Dance, Spooktacular, holiday programming, and Finals’ Breakfast for Dinner.
- Support the Student Government Association Vice President for Traditions in ensuring the proper continuation, evaluation, and improvement of Sweet Briar traditions.
- Serve as the primary advisor for SGA class representatives.
- Supervise student van driver position in support of the regular off-campus trips.
- Create opportunities for student engagement off campus through community service and service-learning.
- Support the Assistant Dean of Student Life with onboarding, orientation, and Families Weekend programming.
- Serve on appropriate College-wide committees such as Lectures and Events and Event Coordinators.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited institution
- Campus involvement and leadership in student clubs and organizations
- Demonstrated excellence in supporting a diverse student body
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students
- Demonstrated effective problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in various forms
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Student Affairs, Higher Education, or another appropriate field
- Minimum 1-3 years of professional experience working in a college or university setting