Assistant Professor - Scenic Design
Austin Peay State University Department of Theatre and Dance seeks a qualified Scenic Designer to begin August 2024. The full-time faculty position will be tenure-track at the level of Assistant Professor.
The Theatre and Dance program at Austin Peay State University offers a BFA with concentrations in Acting, Dance, Design, Musical Theatre, and Stage Management, and a BA with concentrations in Theatre and Dance. Minors in Theatre and Dance are popular choices for many students. An intimate proscenium theatre seating just under 200 currently houses 4-5 productions each academic year, with a Laboratory Theatre space available for additional productions, student performances, and events. Theatre and Dance are integral parts of the Center of Excellence for the Creative Arts (www.apsu.edu/creativearts). A long established, state-funded initiative, APSU's Center of Excellence for the Creative Arts, is designed to enhance the cultural environment of the university, community, and region through a diverse range of imaginative arts experiences.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the job include:
- Scenic design for the mainstage production season which may include supervision of student designers in scenic design, painting, and props.
- Teaching core curriculum courses in technical theatre, scenic design, stagecraft, drafting and rendering, scenic painting and props, or other courses specific to the applicant's training.
- Participating in design curriculum development and continual assessment of BFA Design concentration.
- Advise and mentor students effectively throughout their time in the program and help majors persist toward graduation.
- Serve effectively on Departmental and University committees and other appropriate functions that assist in University governance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Show a commitment to continued recruiting efforts as the program continues to grow.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- MFA, or terminal degree, in scenic design or related field
- Experience in university teaching.
- A record of professional scenic production and design.
- Additional experience in technical theatre and other design areas is a bonus.
- A background search will be required of the successful applicant.