Assistant Professor of Nursing
The Hood College Department of Nursing, a division of the Hood College School of Behavioral and Health Sciences, is growing and seeking a full-time faculty member who is able to teach in the established undergraduate program (including foundational and specialty nursing courses) and new MSN program that includes education, leadership and Adult-Gero Primary Care Nurse Practitioner tracks. Under the general direction of the Director of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program, this full time, tenure-track Assistant Professor position will begin in August 2024. The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability, or strong potential for success, in teaching with excellence across the nursing curriculum. Candidate must possess a terminal degree in nursing and certification as a nurse practitioner is preferred.
Essential Duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide excellent instruction in the clinical and theoretical area of nursing that includes evaluation and advising in didactic and clinical practice.
- Maintain high academic standards and promote excellence in education.
- Teach across multiple areas with a focus in medical and surgical nursing of adults, health assessment, and integrated pathophysiology.
- Promote student development through enrichment and mentoring experiences.
- Participate in and contribute to the team-teaching of classroom and clinical courses and model team-enhancing behavior for students.
- Promote positive and productive relationships with service area hospitals, clinics, business, industries, and agencies.
- Participate in continuous quality improvement of the nursing curriculum through ongoing assessment of teaching and learning.
- Maintain clinical expertise and professional knowledge.
- Initiate and participate in scholarly and professional activities at the local, state, and/or national levels consistent with professional nursing standards and Hood College standards.
- Participate in faculty development and educational activities.
- Support and participate in college and department committees and/or professional organizations to develop professional partnerships and meet academic needs of the institution.
- Participate in faculty responsibilities of the department to include recruitment, retention, curriculum development, and continuous improvement.
- Support the College initiatives to recruit and retain talented students.
We seek a candidate who values diversity, equity and inclusion in all that they do. Candidates must have strong organizational skills and a proven ability to work collaboratively with partners across campus in support of Hood College's mission as a student-centered, liberal arts institution.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
Candidate must possess an unencumbered license as a registered nurse, eligible to practice in the state of Maryland and teaching experience in nursing are required. A terminal degree in nursing and certification as a nurse practitioner is preferred. A clinical background in acute care adult health care is also required.
- Years and type of previous experience required
- Education (depending on the role, can state that a college degree is preferred but not required)
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities necessary to perform job
- Previous supervisory experience (if applicable)
Preferred Skills and Characteristics
- Desirable, not required skills for the job (if applicable)
Proficient in MS Office tools (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), e-mail and Internet. Ability to learn new applications quickly including organization-wide information systems and department-specific software applications.
Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to effectively provide information and positively respond to questions from both external and internal customers both in person and by phone. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Proficient with statistical and financial concepts. Must have the ability to apply those concepts to tracking, projections, goal setting and interpreting reports. Must be able to draw conclusions from reports and make cost effective decisions regarding programs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a number of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to work independently and as a member of a group in developing and executing project plans. Ability to work in theoretical arena and apply logic as appropriate.
We invite qualified candidates to apply on-line via our electronic application which requires submission of a cover letter, resume and three professional references.
If you need assistance with the on-line application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 696-3592.
Hood College is committed to diversity in its faculty and staff and subscribes to a policy of hiring only individuals legally eligible to work in the United States. EOE/AAP/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer
Hood College does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, religion, or age in recruitment, admission and access to, or treatment, or employment in its programs, services, benefits, or activities as required by applicable laws including Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodation for disabled applicants and students. Inquiries about discrimination or reasonable accommodation should be referred to the Title IX and Section 504 Coordinator at Alumnae Hall, 401 Rosemont Avenue, Frederick, MD. 21701 (AD 312), (301) 696-3592. For complete information on Hood College's nondiscrimination policy, please visit http://www.hood.edu/non-discrimination/.
PhD or better in Nursing.
Years and type of previous experience required; Education (depending on the role, can state that a college degree is preferred but not required); Certifications; Knowledge, Skills, Abilities necessary to perform job; Previous supervisory experience (if applicable).