Director of Strategy and Operations, Internal Medicine (College of Medicine-Phoenix)
Posting Number: req17660
Department: COM Phx Internal Medicine
Location: Greater Phoenix Area
Address: 475 N. 5th St., Phoenix, AZ 85004 USA
The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix Department of Internal Medicine is recruiting for a Director of Strategy and Operations. This role is a critical member of the department management team comprised of Banner University Medical Center - Phoenix and University of Arizona operations. As Director, you will provide operational and administrative management support to faculty and staff in our highly-matrix organization. This key leader will support the operational success of the academic department, strategically advance priority projects that promote the tripartite mission, including the development of new programming and initiatives, operational and strategic management. The selected candidate will be expected to develop and implement processes that maximize efficiency, resources, and mission growth across all divisions.
This individual will work closely with the College Business Offices, Division of Human Resources, Information Technology, Campus Management & Operations, Marketing and Communications, Faculty Affairs, and other Departments on campus as well as the main Campus stakeholders.
The Department of Internal Medicine at the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix is comprised of 14 divisions: Hepatology, Cardiology, Pulmonology, Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases, Rheumatology, Dermatology, Medical Toxicology and Precision Medicine, Clinical Data Analytics and Decision Support, Endocrinology, Inpatient Medical Services, Sports Concussion Medicine and Research.
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical, technical, and problem-solving skills, discretion, and effective time management skills.
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix anchors the 28-acre Phoenix
Bioscience Core in the heart of the Valley of the Sun. The College inspires and
trains individuals to become exemplary physicians, scientists and leaders who
are life-long learners and inquisitive scholars. The Phoenix Biomedical Campus
embodies the University's priorities of engagement, partnership, innovation,
and synergy in its world-class academic and research initiatives, with clinical
facilities throughout Greater Phoenix.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit: http://www.whyua.arizona.edu/.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Under Faculty Leadership direction, develop long and short-range goals and business plans to strategically align department with overall vision of the College.
- Integrates process and management of BUMG employed department of medicine faculty.
- Budgeting and financial management of all funding sources (state, grants, designated, gifts/Foundation all academic funding types).
- Typically responsible for a budget (including grants and contracts) of $10-30M.
- Identify and implement methods to continually improve the quality and efficiency of the operations.
- Develop, maintain, and implement policies and procedures.
- Manage and oversee department's space needs within the university, UAHS, and college guidelines.
- Facilitate recruitment, onboarding, retention, and off-boarding processes for faculty and staff with key central Campus offices on behalf of Department/Unit Leaders to enable successful employee experience and retention.
- Manage time approval process for the Department/Unit faculty and staff to ensure compliance with university and FLSA policies.
- Facilitate the faculty onboarding and ongoing education process to understand the available resources for research at a university, campus and College level.
- Coordinate with UAHS central offices to assist with pre-award activities.
- Manage post award operations and financial activity for faculty research success.
- Identify issues and resolve problems which may impact the department, and direct measures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Maintain relationships with senior leadership to enable the most effective planning and implementation of operational, administrative, and financial policies and procedures.
- Partner with clinical practice leadership to support goals.
- Act as liaison with faculty, advisors, administrators, and staff from the college and external agencies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of nine (9) years of related work experience, including 5 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Experience leading a team, project, program, or function is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
* Master's Degree in relevant field.
* Five (5) or more years experience in education, academic medical center or health care environment.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Organizational Administration
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $99,901 - $123,778 Annually
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
College of Medicine-Phoenix, Office of Human Resources
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety. Blank or missed information may be considered an incomplete submission.
Letter of Interest: Should clearly indicate how your skills and professional employment experience meet the Minimum and the Preferred qualifications (if applicable).
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.