Biostatistician II, Internal Medicine (College of Medicine)
Posting Number: req17697
Department: COM Phx Internal Medicine
Location: Greater Phoenix Area
Address: 475 N. 5th St., Phoenix, AZ 85004 USA
Position HighlightsThe Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix is currently recruiting a Biostatistician II with experience in clinical outcomes research. The position is dynamic and tech focused requiring familiarity with the latest data analysis and visualization techniques. In addition to providing statistical support to routing clinical studies in the department, the successful candidate will also get the opportunity to develop novel algorithms for accelerating medical research including machine learning and deep learning techniques.
The candidate will also get to work closely with clinicians to develop PowerBI dashboards to provide actionable intelligence to solve real world clinical problems They will work with medical students as well as investigators using advanced quantitative methods to advise on the design and analysis of various research projects. Good communication skill is required to interact with all types of investigators. This will include teaching medical students residents, faculty and clearing their doubts regarding clinical research.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborates with biomedical investigators and medical students and assists in developing objectives, designing sampling, randomization and data collection procedures to achieve study objectives.
- Advises investigators in determining the appropriate statistical methodology to meet their study needs and objectives.
- Performs power/sample size analysis and develops plans for study monitoring and statistical analysis. Drafts the statistical section for IRB applications and grant proposals.
- Participates in data collection, database maintenance, and assessment of various databases and sources.
- Assumes primary responsibility for the analysis and presentation of data. Analyzes and interprets data including selection and application of appropriate statistical methods.
- Uses various statistical software packages and writes statistical computer programs; reviews and summarizes analysis results.
- Designs tables, visual representations, and reports for specific research studies.
- Provides consultation, technical assistance, and coordination for a wide variety of medical student and investigators.
- Designs, implements, and coordinates study activities and process improvements.
- Drafts the statistical methods and results sections of presentations and publications.
- Works with collaborators on proper interpretation of analysis results.
- Evaluates sources of existing data in order to determine any limitations in terms of reliability, usability and generalizability.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Learning about latest software packages and techniques in data analytics and visualization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent problem solving, organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and attention to detail is critical.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
* Master's in related field of study.
* Python programming skills are highly recommended.
* Familiarity with PowerBI.
* Familiarity with REDCap.
* Familiarity with PySpark, Scikit-Learn, PyTorch are bonuses.
* Ability to perform statistical analyses of data, prepare written interpretations of statistical results and to integrate findings into reports and publications.
* Strong motivation and dedication to scientific discovery is essential.
* Previous experience in research.
* Previous training in applied statistics, data mining, and machine learning.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $65,687 - $85,393
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Research & Data Analysis
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
College of Medicine-Phoenix, Office of Human Resources
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicant
Application: The online application should be completed in its entirety. Blank or missed information may be considered an incomplete submission.
Letter of Interest: Should clearly indicate how your skills and professional employment experience meet the Minimum and the Preferred qualifications (if applicable).
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.