Department Head of Teaching and Learning
Southeastern Louisiana University's College of Education invites applications for the position of Department Head of Teaching and Learning. The Department Head is the academic and administrative officer of the department and is a twelve-month employee. The Department Head must be eligible to hold the rank of associate or full professor in teaching, teacher education, or curriculum and instruction. The Department Head shall be appointed by the President of the University with the approval of the University of Louisiana System and is responsible to the Dean of the College of Education and to the Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs.
Success in filling assigned responsibilities requires an individual who understands the role of administration, accepts administrative authority and responsibility, and embraces and supports diversity amongst a dynamic group of professionals. The Department Head is active in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses and maintaining a research program appropriate for a department in a college with undergraduate and master’s degree programs. The Department Head must possess personal qualities such as people skills, openness, integrity, problem-solving, negotiating, and leadership in decision-making.
Southeastern Louisiana University is a progressive regional, comprehensive university. The University’s home, Hammond, is at the crossroads of Interstates 55 and 12 in the heart of Louisiana’s thriving Northshore. It is centrally located within an hour’s drive of New Orleans, Baton Rouge (the state capitol), and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and affords extensive cultural, recreational, and research opportunities. The Department of Teaching and Learning has approximately 700 undergraduate majors and 175 students in our master’s degree program.
- Doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction, Teaching/Teacher Education, or related discipline from an accredited university
- Successful four-year college/university teaching experience
- Record of scholarly achievement meriting appointment to associate or full professor
- Prior K-12 teaching experience
- Successful experience with administrative work at the university level
- Experience as a department head or equivalent
- Priority will be given to individuals with experience with national accreditation (NCATE/CAEP) or regional accreditation (e.g., SACSCOC)
- Cover letter
- A statement of leadership philosophy
- Copies of transcripts (Only an unofficial transcript for the highest degree is required at application. Official transcripts for all degrees will be required upon employment.)
Posting Close Date: October 17, 2023
Please Note: Applications must be completed and submitted by 11:59 p.m. on the posting close date to ensure consideration.
How to Apply: Click on the Apply button and complete an electronic application which can be used for this vacancy as well as future vacancies. Any required documents should be attached under the Resume/CV section of your application. If all required documents are not attached you will NOT be considered.