Assistant Communications Manager, Mansfield Center
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*
The Mansfield Center invites applications for an Assistant Communications Manager to identify, plan, and execute communications campaigns that advance the mission and vision of the Center’s democracy and civic engagement initiatives. In this position you will be working closely with the Communications Manager, leadership team, and external partners to implement a coordinated strategy for engaging with Center stakeholders, with a special focus on our democracy programming, events, and communication. This position reports to the Communications Manager of the Mansfield Center. A commitment to integrity and building trusted relationships is essential. The successful candidate will have attention to detail, clear and prompt communication habits, and self-sufficiency.
Specific job duties include, but aren’t limited to:
Social media oversight:
- Assist the Communications team with social media and communication channels.
- Curate social media content that highlights Center work on democracy and civic engagement.
Marketing, written communications & working with media:
- Assist with writing Center press releases and coordinating op-eds on relevant democratic topics and issues.
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager on priority content for newsletters, annual impact report, and other such vehicles, taking the lead on gathering content and drafting materials.
- Assist with all events promotion, including our Mansfield Dialogues and democracy lectures.
- Assist with day-of event tasks, including Zoom set-up, AV management, and other logistics.
Materials and graphic design:
- Work with Center staff to design and distribute marketing materials for Center programming and outreach.
- Assist with content updates in collaboration with Mansfield colleagues, with an eye for information, design, layout, and imagery.
- Engage with statewide organizations to amplify the Center’s work, assisting with PowerPoint presentations as relevant.
- Effective listener and strong communicator (written and verbal).
- Experience balancing multiple assignments and internal clients.
- Exceptional writing skills under tight deadlines.
- Experience designing and implementing a social media and print media strategy.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and two (2) years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Project management and supervisory skills.
- Experience working with stakeholders in government and democracy efforts.
- Events management experience.
About the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Center and UM
Founded by an Act of Congress in 1983, the Mansfield Center fosters globally minded leaders of integrity in support of democracy and international engagement. We honor Senator Mansfield’s legacy of patriotic statesmanship to bridge divides from a variety of perspectives, unified by our commitment to democracy. Our work emphasizes civil exchanges of ideas from a diverse range of viewpoints, the importance of democratic institutions, and role that ethical values play in public life. Our staff is advised by a bipartisan Board of Advisors and supported by citizens nationwide representing government, business, non-profit, education, service and youth sectors.
The Mansfield Center is committed to creating an environment that encourages, enriches and respects the multidimensional aspects of diversity. Diversity includes, but is not limited to, differences based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation or background, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, economic class or status, points of view, or disabilities. The Mansfield Center is committed to recruiting and retaining a team capable of creating a safe, vibrant, diverse, engaging and intellectually stimulating environment.
The University of Montana is a flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Assistant Communications Manager
(Media Information Specialist)
Position Number: 296660
Department: Mansfield Center
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year,
Salary: $20.276/hr Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
**Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.Required Experience