Director of Finance, W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
The W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation invites applications for a Director of Finance. Reporting to the Director of Academic Budgets and Personnel and the Dean of the WA Franke College of Forestry and Conservation, the Director of Finance provides overall leadership and support of financial and administrative operations of the College of Forestry and Conservation (FCFC), and serves as a member of the Provost’s Finance Team. The Director serves as a member of the senior management team of the University of Montana’s FCFC, directly supporting and assisting the dean, associate deans, department chairs, and other College leadership.
The Director is responsible for the College’s finance functions including daily operations, developing monthly financial projections, and preparing annual and long-range operating budgets. In order to carry out these wide-ranging activities, the Director manages staff interfaces with a wide spectrum of partners across the institution, including regular interactions with senior-level faculty and administrators and with central services such as UM Information Technology and Human Resources.
The Director of Finance core responsibilities include:
- Directs and administers budgeting, review/audit, accounting, purchasing, payroll and long-range forecasting activities for the College.
- Executes and manages College annual operating budget and ensures that research funds are properly recorded in the appropriate fund centers; directs and coordinates the establishment of budget programs.
- Closely monitors financial gifts to FCFC, ensures that gifts are spent according to donor wishes, and ensures that gift-funded activities do not proceed before receipt of financial assets.
- Analyzes the College’s financial position and issues periodic reports.
- Working in close collaboration with senior leadership, develops and implements strategic and tactical plans for growth for FCFC; serves as the primary business advisor to the Dean, Associate Deans or other area leaders and the financial liaison for the College to the Provost’s Office.
- Actively partners and closely collaborates with key constituents to leverage opportunities and goals; promotes a unified view of UM’s interests and aligns all departments to work toward common financial goals.
- Designs, establishes and maintains an administrative organizational structure to effectively and efficiently accomplish the College and university’s goals and objectives while appropriately segregating duties and mitigating risk.
- Supervises the FCFC Finance and Accounting staff.
- Conducts personnel activities such as advising FCFC management on University policies/procedures regarding recruitment, employment, wage and salary administration, and the classification process and serves as the primary liaison with Human Resource Services.
- Facilities and successfully implements logistical activities for the College such as procurement and supply transactions.
- Serves as an ambassador for the College on various University committees, provides insightful and diplomatic feedback to the committee and communicates updates to the College and other constituents within Academic Affairs, as appropriate.
- Provides guidance and to financial and personnel officers in FCFC’s research centers and institutes.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.Position Details
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $80,000-$90,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree and five (5) of administrative experience preferably in an academic environment, including operational leadership responsibilities in a college or comparably complex environment.
- Outstanding financial expertise; strong technical knowledge and skills; broad and thorough knowledge of budgeting, forecasting and analysis.
- Familiarity with Banner and Syntellis
- Effective communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills are necessary
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially.
- Preference given to candidates with a Master’s degree in Business Administration or related discipline.
- Familiarity with Axiom.
About UM and the W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation
The University of Montana is flagship, research-intensive R1 institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
The mission of the W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation is to advance research and education that fosters sustainability and empowers a holistic understanding of social-ecological systems.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment.
In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant.
Testing Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions.
Employment Eligibility. All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, October 15, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Three (3) professional references- Names and contact information
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
**Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.Position Type