Laboratory Manager - Materials Science and Engineering
Laboratory Manager Department of Materials Science and Engineering
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MatSE) at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is seeking candidates for a Laboratory Manager position to manage the daily operations of the instructional lab facilities and equipment in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
Job duties include the following:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of departmental instructional facilities including troubleshooting malfunctioning lab equipment and computers reported by users, maintaining equipment, performing preventative maintenance, calibrating equipment as needed, setting up experiments for undergraduate lab classes, stocking supplies, managing spare part and consumable inventory, and changing gas tanks as needed.
- Serve as the primary safety contact for the instructional labs which includes:
- Set departmental lab safety policies and expectations in accordance with College and University policies with faculty, staff and students using the instructional labs.
- Monitor and maintain user compliance to safety policies in the instructional laboratories.
- Establish and maintain lab standard operating procedures/protocols for all equipment and instrumentation acquired for instructional purposes.
- Serve as the liaison for the Division of Research Safety (DRS) for the implementation of process, protocols, and research lab audits. This includes ensuring audits are completed and actively participating to correct all findings within the instructional labs should any be noted.
- Utilize university best practices in DRS waste procedures and protocol, including the disposal of hazardous material waste.
- Direct the set-up of each semester's instructional lab courses including equipment and experiments.
- Collaborate with faculty in the design and execution of experiments for laboratory courses, demonstrations for non-laboratory courses,or special departmental events as requested. This includes analysis,interpretation, and presentation of results.
- Oversee the training of new teaching assistants including training on specific equipment and safety standards. Physically demonstrate to users how to run the equipment safely and according to standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS A. Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline closely related to the position AND two (2) years (24 months)of work experience in a laboratory or similar setting closely related to the position
OR Total of five (5) years(60 months) of any combination of education in a scientific discipline and/or work experience in a laboratory or similar setting related to the position. One (1) year (12 months)of supervisory and/or administrative experience.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS * Bachelor's degree in Materials Science and Engineering or Physics, or a master's degree in a field related to the position * Experience in operation and maintenance of varied laboratory equipment and accessories such as microscopes, vacuum pumps, hot/stir plates, data acquisition systems, spectroscopy equipment, and chromatography equipment * 3 or more years of related work experience at the University of Illinois, including demonstrated ability to independently execute laboratory experiments and oversee laboratory functions * Strong familiarity with DRS procedures and protocol * Experience with University purchasing procedures * Experience troubleshooting equipment * Experience in instrument method development * Experience in experimental design * Demonstrated ability to work independently with broad guidance and assess the experimental process through to completion, including several variables * Excellent written and oral communication skills * Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex tasks concurrently and an aptitude for learning new skills, tools, and processes
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a 100% full-time Laboratory Manager position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible. The minimum salary for this position is $60,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications. Work authorization is not available for this position.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
Applications must be received by October 13, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. To be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Please upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Summer Redman (email@example.com). For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requisition ID: 1020220
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu