Sous Chef, UM Dining
*Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College.
*Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.Staff Vacancy Announcement
Campus Dining has an exciting opportunity for an entry level Sous Chefs at the Food Zoo. We are hiring motivated team members who are excited to actively participate in the ever-changing world of the food service industry. The Sous Chef will manage production and service for multiple areas within a large volume/high activity dining hall, including grill station, burger station, big-batch cooking main line, pop-ups and salad/cold foods station. This position will train and supervise student kitchen staff. Our department offers shifts to meet your needs, with hours available 7 days a week from 6:00am – 9:00pm.Required Skills
- Experience leading, directing, and/or training staff.
- Experience with high volume food service operations.
- Experience working with a wide variety of food service equipment.
- Experience with recipe and menu development.
- Knowledge of the production of high-quality food, menus, and dining experience.
- Experience with receiving, storage, and production of a wide variety of food items.
- Experience providing excellent customer service.
- Two (2) years of cook experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- ServSafe certification or the ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.
- Experience working with college students as employees and guests.
- Advanced degree in hospitality or food service management and at least two (2) years sous chef experience or four (4) years’ cook experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with inventory control.
- Experience with recipe testing and development.
A Work effectively and efficiently in close cooperation with UMCD staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Exhibit creativity in the culinary arts and exercise critically good judgment concerning taste, palatability, and aesthetics of food quality.
- Exhibit strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate employees to perform at and sustain a high level of quality.
- Highly motivated and work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain compliance of policy and procedure.
- Prioritize and organize workload in order to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Be knowledgeable about State and Federal health and food safety guidelines.
- Represent the department and the University to others in a professional and courteous manner.
University of Montana Campus Dining supports student success through superior cuisine, exceptional dining experiences, and sustainable business practices. Our shared values and guided principles include:
Shared Values and Guiding Principles
- IMPACT: We commit to local, regional, and global environmental stewardship through sustainable business practices and agricultural economic development in Montana and our region.
- PARTNERSHIPS: We cultivate collaborative partnerships with our on- and off-campus colleagues in support of the University’s mission.
- INCLUSIVITY: We respect and celebrate the contributions, rights, and dignity of our diverse employees and guests.
- GUEST SERVICE: The people we serve are our guests. We will exceed our guests’ expectations.
- EXCELLENCE: We exhibit passion, professionalism, integrity, loyalty, responsiveness, fiscal responsibility and innovation. We affirm, cultivate and value our employees through professional development.
- INNOVATION: We recognize that innovation is inherently interdisciplinary and integrative, forged in inquiry and collaboration.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Sous Chef (Culinary Services Supervisor II)
Position Number: NEW
Department: Campus Dining
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week),
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Application Date: Sunday, October 1, 2023 by 11:59 pm MST
Please submit the following application materials** by clicking "New Resume/CV" button.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.Position Type