HVAC Trades Specialist Lead II - Facilities & Services
The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services is seeking applicants for a HVAC Trades Specialist Lead II position.
About the OpportunityThe HVAC Trades Specialist Lead II position consists of repair, maintenance, and installation of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration controls and equipment. Shall provide guidance to HVAC mechanics, maintenance helpers, trades workers, and other assigned personnel.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week.
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar).
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave).
- 18 sick days per year.
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof).
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits.
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree. perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs.
PAY GRADE - 15 WVU provides competitive wages for its employees and takes related experience and education into consideration when determining appropriate salary.
WORKING HOURS: Monday - Friday; 7:00am - 3:00pm
What you'll do:
Functions as a team leader, providing guidance to journeymen, trades workers, and any other support personnel as required. Follows procedures and makes work assignments to those individuals assigned to the crew to ensure work is completed in a timely fashion ensuring proper quality and quantity. Inspects completed work assignments of journeymen craft workers, trades workers, and helpers to ensure quality control. Ensures that proper safety procedures, equipment, and personal protective equipment are used while performing job duties.
Ensures that proper safety procedures, equipment, and personal protective equipment are used while performing job duties.
Receives work orders. Interfaces with Work Control, Supervisor, Managers, and requesting party to finalize project needs and scope. Assists supervisor with multi-craft projects related to overall work assignments. Communicates work schedules and goals to employees and customer, creating efficiency and a timely completion of assigned tasks.
Provides continual inspection of assigned area to ensure maintenance is completed on schedule; recommends to the supervisor major repair needs; assists supervisor in updating deferred maintenance.
Individual will have responsibility to read and review prints on new and existing building projects for repair or construction associated with specific job duties and expertise. Individual will also develop as-built sketches of completed projects.
Individual will maintain knowledge of state, federal, and local codes and requirements pertaining to maintenance and construction. Individual will attend project meetings and interact with contractors, vendors, and engineers as needed.
Determines and recommends to the supervisor the needs of the project in regard to crew size, types of crafts, material availability, equipment, paperwork, safety checks to maintain proper work and material flow in order to maintain schedule.
Provides daily reports on actual progress versus projected progress to supervisor. Maintains the original scope of project to ensure project cost control. Informs supervisor of needed discipline and performance problems. Ensures that work group processes all work requests, material requisitions, weekly reports, and invoices necessary to complete assignments according to Physical Plant operation.
Completes detailed cost estimates and drawings.
Assists supervisor in disciplinary action.
May be required to move, load, and carry all materials and equipment necessary to complete all phases of assigned maintenance and construction projects. May be required to assist in the effort of moving any existing conditions which interfere with the flow of the project. When project is completed, work site must be left in a clean and orderly fashion. Must be able to respond during off hours to cover emergency situations.
May fill in for supervisor. Inventories individual assigned work tools of crews. Assists in interviewing of candidates. Assists in the detailed design of projects. Must be able to respond when called during off hours to cover emergency situations.
Must be able to operate computers utilizing various software programs such as: Physical Plant maintenance management programs involving work orders and materials accountability, building support systems, and other systems as necessary.
- Repairs, rebuilds, overhauls, and maintains refrigeration and chiller systems such as screw chillers, centrifugal chillers, reciprocating chillers, and steam absorption machines.
- Utilizes test equipment for proper diagnosis of failed mechanical systems. The test equipment will include instruments such as refrigerant gauges, velometer, electric meter, amprobe, acid test, and vacuum meter. The use of this equipment will require strong mathematical skills and analytical ability. Will also use various hand tools and power tools. Will have ability to solder and braze refrigerant piping and components utilizing the proper torch and material.
- Must have complete knowledge of refrigerant and reclaiming equipment. Must also maintain knowledge of regulations that apply to such equipment. The use of this equipment is governed by specific EPA regulations. Must also complete required documentation associated with refrigerant use.
- Troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs air handling units, lab equipment, chilled water distribution, heating water distribution, mixing boxes, duct systems, and all associated controls and safety devices.
- Fabricates, maintains, repairs, and installs components associated with compressor replacement and installation for cooling units up to several hundred tons capacity. The tolerances of this equipment can be extremely tight and must be handled properly. This also includes support components such as block dryers, sight glasses, expansion valves, hot gas bypass valves, headmaster controls, fan cycling switches, condensing fans, temperature control boards, and service valves.
- Troubleshoots maintains, and repairs cooling towers, condensers, and associated controls to maintain proper temperature, capacity, and flow. Will also monitor water treatment systems and ensure proper adjustments are made. Will work with and advise water treatment students on any problems associated with the water treatment program.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains ultra-low freezers, ice machines, air dryer systems, centrifuge, fish tank coolers, environmental chambers, window air conditioners, evaporative coolers, water coolers, refrigerators, and any other devices utilized for temperature control or ventilation. These systems support many years of experimentation and thus are very important to the operation of West Virginia University.
- Maintains and installs building control systems using pneumatic and electrical controls. Interprets blueprints and specifications and develops as-built sketches of completed projects. Operates and maintains computer systems and coordinates projects and service with control vendor.
- May be required to perform general maintenance duties either in relation to normal journeyman responsibilities or assisting other trades such as but not limited to low level electrical connections, lighting, sheet metal fabrication, painting, carpentry, plumbing, millwright work, etc.
- 6 months technical / vocational training plus 2 years' experience in HVAC repairs and maintenance, duct work installation and refrigeration maintenance and repairs to include electric/electronic repairs.
2.5 years' experience in HVAC repairs and maintenance, duct work installation and refrigeration maintenance and repairs to include electric / electronic repairs.
- One (1) year experience leading and/or training others.
- Demonstrated knowledge of absorption machines, screw chillers, centrifugal chillers, and all other HVAC systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of reclaiming and recovery of refrigerants and regulations that apply.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HVAC control systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local, state, and federal building codes.
- Demonstrated ability to read blueprints and electrical schematics.
- Demonstrated ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer.
- Demonstrated ability to climb heights over ten feet.
- Demonstrated knowledge of warehousing functions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in inclement weather conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people in a stressful environment.
- Demonstrated ability to have excellent eye to hand coordination.
- Demonstrated ability to hear and interpret sounds in the work area and verbal instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in extreme hot or cold areas such as steam tunnels and coolers.
- Demonstrated ability to use logical problem-solving techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well utilizing both written and oral instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to perform all assigned related tasks.
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical terms related to mechanical equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in uncomfortable positions as may be required by job assignment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multi-craft personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to lift and carry heavy (over 75 pounds) or awkward objects.
- Demonstrated ability to stoop, bend, walk, crawl, etc. over rough and slippery surfaces.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain proper attendance and punctuality standards.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate work schedules and goals to employees.
- Demonstrated ability to provide continual inspection of assigned areas.
- Demonstrated ability to inform supervisor of needed discipline and performance problems.
- Demonstrated ability to assist supervisor in disciplinary action.
- Demonstrated ability in interviewing of candidates.
- Ability to train and oversee the work of others.
- Ability to use diagnostic test equipment and tools.
- Valid US driver's license required.
- West Virginia Department of Labor HVAC Technician License.
- Type I, Type II or a Universal - EPA requires this license for working on Freon containing equipment.
- Lifting, climbing, stooping, carrying, walking, and operation of heavy tools.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 15, 2023
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes