Utility Engineer, Facilities Services
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College.
*Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
Utility Engineer, Facilities Services
The Utility Engineer position at The University of Montana (UM) primarily manages the utility (electric power, natural gas, domestic and ground water, sanitary waste and storm water) at the main campus as well as Missoula College and other UM sites in the Missoula area. This position focuses on prudent energy management strategies and projects without compromising the comfort of campus clients. Activities include monitoring building utility usages, ensuring correct vendor invoicing and recharging campus consumers. This person will also provide other engineering services (design and construction reviews, etc.) as requested and will be the Facilities Services technical liaison to various committees, working groups and stakeholders.
The Utility Engineer must become adept with using the various data resources used across campus. Applications include building automation systems (Niagara/Tridium & Johnson Controls), energy management system (Electro Industries’ Communicator PQA), computerized maintenance management system (Accruent’s Famis), enterprise resource planner (Ellucian Banner), procurement (Jaggaer), electric arc flash (EasyPower), and facilities condition assessment (Archibus) as well as ad hoc databases and Excel workbooks – all contribute toward executing the duties of this position. Public domain tools such as Energy Star’s Portfolio Manager, Department of Energy’s eQUEST, and EPA’s eGRID are also commonly used.
Applicants will be resourceful, flexible, motivated, proactive, independent and able to take the initiative to identify gaps in operations and develop solutions. Must be able to establish good working relationships with utility vendors and take the lead in negotiating for UM’s best interests. Familiarity with utility tariffs, rebate programs and also pertinent federal, state and local grant opportunities is useful. Multiple annual reports are to be prepared such as groundwater, Universal Systems Benefits, storm water and waste water allocations. This position works closely with UM’s Office of Sustainability and provides support for their development of Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) metrics and reports. Economic evaluations and forecasting services are also often requested of this position.
This position is required to rotate as an after-hours on-call supervisor.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.Position Details
- Position is a full-time MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $80,000 per year but may be adjusted based on experience and qualifications.
- Thorough knowledge of building systems, specifically HVAC, and building controls including analog and Direct Digital Controls.
- Experience in construction, renovation and maintenance of facilities, specifically those related to higher-ed such as laboratories, classrooms, offices, dormitories, athletic facilities, physical plant, distribution systems, streets, walkways and grounds.
- Ability to understand design drawings, construction specifications, and mechanical, process and electrical diagrams.
- Advanced skills in the operation of personal computers and software, including the Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio, Project), Autodesk’s AutoCAD and Revit, Computerized Maintenance Management Systems, Building Automation Systems, Smart building digital metering and sensor systems.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to work with large data sets.
- Proficient in verbal and written communications.
- Ease in addressing groups.
- An undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering or other engineering discipline.
- Five (5) years of experience in a relevant technical field demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Montana.
- One or more of the following certifications:
- Association of Energy Engineers Certified Energy Manager. (CEM)
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification as an Accredited Professional. (LEED AP)
- APPA Certified Educational Facilities Professional. (CEFP)
- Northwest Energy Efficiency Council’s Building Operator Certification or Level II training.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Familiarity with permit requirements of the State of Montana’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4).
The mission of the University of Montana Facilities Services department is to assist in the development of a physical environment supportive of teaching, research, and administration on the University of Montana campus through the operation and maintenance of the state funded physical plant, and to provide services to the auxiliaries as required. It is also Facilities Services’ mission to provide leadership with respect to capital improvements to promote quality designs that facilitate operations, enhance employee retention, exceed student and visitor needs and reduce operating costs. Additionally, Facilities Services is responsible for assuring compliance with all codes related to facilities, construction, renovations, maintenance and operations of all campus facilities. This mission of support includes long-term preservation of facilities’ assets and equipment
The University of Montana is flagship, research-intensive R1 institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment.
In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant.
Testing Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions.
Employment Eligibility. All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, October 15, 2023 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.Position Type