Dean, College of Behavioral and Health Sciences
Dean, College of Behavioral and Health Sciences
Academic Support Service Provost
MTSU seeks candidates committed to innovative teaching, robust research/creative activity, and meaningful service. We also seek to attract culturally and academically diverse faculty who value working with diverse students.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Job Summary/Basic Function
Middle Tennessee State University seeks a creative, innovative, and proven leader for the College of Behavioral and Health Sciences and invites applications for the position of Dean. The position will begin by July 1, 2024. Applicants must qualify for an appointment at the rank of professor. Expedited tenure will be considered at the time of appointment.
With an enrollment of 20,000 students, MTSU is the?top producer of graduates for the Greater Nashville area,?has been identified by the?Princeton Review as one of the Best 385 Colleges in the U.S. for five consecutive years, and is also the?top destination for transfer students?in Tennessee. MTSU embraces its roles as a major comprehensive university and as the destination of choice for Tennessee undergraduates while expanding its reach nationally and internationally through signature programs and select master's, specialist, and doctoral programs. MTSU students, faculty, and staff generate, preserve, and disseminate knowledge and innovation and collaboratively promote excellence through teaching and learning, research, creative activity, and public engagement. MTSU holds the Carnegie Doctoral University: High Research Activity and Community Engagement classifications.??
The College of Behavioral and Health Sciences provides quality undergraduate and graduate education in Criminal Justice Administration, Health and Human Performance, Human Sciences, Nursing, Physician Assistant Studies, Psychology, and Social Work that prepare students for meaningful careers, lifelong learning, and service. A 91,000-square-foot Academic Classroom Building for the Behavioral Sciences opened in 2020.?
Responsibilities of the position include:?
- Serving as the chief academic and administrative officer for the College of Behavioral and Health Sciences (College) concerning MTSU and MTSU Board of Trustees policies and curricula for undergraduate, master's, specialist, and PhD programs.
- Leading the development of plans and continuous improvement processes for the College, comprising six diverse academic departments and schools.?
- Maintaining accreditations for all accreditable programs in the College.?
- Providing leadership for department chairs/school directors, faculty, staff, and undergraduate and graduate students.
- Providing leadership for interdisciplinary programs and centers housed in the College.?
- Increasing the College's focus on and success in research.?
- Building relationships with external health, business, and professional communities and agencies.
- Leading the College's student recruitment, enrollment, and retention activities on and off campus and providing oversight of the College advising center.
- Leading the development efforts of the College.?
A terminal degree from an accredited institution in a represented discipline of the College is required.
Required Related Experience
Three years of administrative and supervisory experience in higher education at the level of chair or above is required.
- Ongoing commitment to supporting excellence in teaching, growth in externally funded research and service programs, and scholarly inquiry as evidenced by a distinguished record of discipline-related and administrative accomplishments.
- Leadership and communication skills for effective, articulate advocacy for programs and activities of the College's departments and schools, as well as teamwork and consensus among faculty, departments, and schools.
- Proven ability to foster and facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Proven ability to marshal internal and external resources and organize faculty and external constituencies to implement College and University missions and strategic plans.
- Accomplishments demonstrating knowledge of current and emerging trends in higher education and the behavioral and health sciences that support excellence for faculty, academic programs, and student success.
- Vision for and demonstrated ability to engage in partnerships with external constituencies to meet student and community needs in support of the University's Carnegie Community Engagement classification and Academic Master Plan.
Documents Needed to Apply
To successfully apply, applicants must include the following documents as separate attachments during online application submittal: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of Teaching Philosophy, and a Research Statement or Creative Activities (as appropriate to the discipline).
Special Instruction to Applicants
If you need help applying, please contact Mitzi Dunkley, Faculty Recruitment Specialist, at (615) 898-5128.
If you have position-specific questions, please contact Greg Van Patten at Greg.VanPatten@mtsu.edu.
MTSU offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to the following:
- Sick Leave
- Vacation Leave for Administrative/Classified Staff/12-month Faculty
- 13 paid University holidays
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Retirement plans
- Optional 401K and 403B Deferred Compensation Plans
- Educational benefits for the employee and their spouse and dependents
MTSU is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that values diversity in all its forms. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Proof of U.S. citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment is required before employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986). Clery Act crime statistics for MTSU are available at https://www.mtsu.edu/police/docs/2022AnnualSecurityReport.pdf or by contacting MTSU Public Safety at (615) 898-2424.
MTSU is a Tobacco & Drug-Free campus.
This position requires a criminal background check. Therefore, you will be required to provide information about your criminal history to be considered.
For individuals requiring reasonable accommodation to apply: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position with MTSU, please call 615-898-2929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Review Date: 10/15/2023