(Remote) Payment Analyst - Procurement, Contracting & Payment Services
The Procurement, Contracting, and Payment Services department at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Payment Analyst.
The Payment Analyst performs independent compliance reviews of invoices submitted for payment for the University and its affiliates to ensure all payments are made in compliance with all applicable policies and procedures. Develops payment strategies and policies, leads execution against those strategies, and manages internal and external stakeholder relationships to ensure the greatest value for the University.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
Performs compliance review and analyses payment date:
- Analyzes invoices/transactions submitted through various sources and electronic systems to identify potential issues or unallowable practices. Audits contract pricing and addresses unfavorable variances, as well as ensures proper application of university, State and/or Federal rules, procedures, law, or code.
- Works with the Payment Manager in establishing effective payment strategies and negotiating most favorable payment terms with suppliers.
- Analyzes, documents, and presents complex category or supplier-specific operational/financial data to stakeholders/executives.
- Identifies and leads continuous process improvement efforts.
- Monitors and measures supplier performance and compliance; identifies and recommends ways to resolve performance issues.
- Maintains confidentiality of any relevant sensitive credit card, contractual, financial, or tax information.
- Analyzes PCard spend/usage data to determine appropriate spending limits, ensuring the University remains in good standing in terms of credit
Assists with development, implementation and ongoing management of all applicable payment systems/software:
- Assists with the implementation and ongoing management of all applicable financial systems (Oracle, the State of WV's financial system, the eProcurement system, travel and expense software, bank software etc.).
- Serves as a subject matter expert on all payment related systems for both internal and external stakeholders. This includes providing training and/or trouble shooting.
- Resolves invoice/payment discrepancies through the use of technology/financial systems.
Payment program management operational support:
- Oversees strategic planning (potential projects, process, procedural, policy changes, team directives & initiatives).
- Coordinates the development and implementation of payment-related policies and procedures, as well as strategic payment program goals.
- Manages the technical interfaces between any applicable bank software, the University's financial system, and the State of WV's financial system.
- Effectively communicates and collaborates with business units on payment program initiatives in one-on-one settings, as well as group events.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Communications, or relevant alternative, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in accounts payment, finance, and/or business management.
- Ability to manage change throughout a large organization.
- Ability to engage, educate and support internal customers, staff and business units.
- Excellent initiative, attention to detail, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment, and to multi-task.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate clearly with customers, vendors and other business contacts.
- Working knowledge of automated financial information systems (Oracle preferred).
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong ability to apply professional judgment when reviewing for compliance with minimal guidance.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to apply accounting principles related to accounts payable.
- Understanding and application of federal and state/local law, code, regulations, and tax reporting regulations applicable to payment processing.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 14, 2023
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes