Adult Education Instructor
The Adult Basic Education teacher is responsible for a multi-level class of adult learners. Position is responsible for instructing a cohort of at least 10-15 adult learners in reading, writing, and mathematical content knowledge to improve basic skills, prepare for a GED® credential, WAGE Certificate, or short-term certificate/credential. This position is governed by agency/institution policy.
All SAU Tech employees are expected to demonstrate excellence in interpersonal behaviors and be committed to effective collaboration with colleagues. Joining the SAU Tech family requires a commitment to our culture of Continuous Quality Improvement.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS STATEMENTS:
- Maintain positive working relationships with students, other agencies, and co-workers
- Responsible for teaching Adult Basic Education, Pre-GED/GED, WAGE, English as a Second Language or other educational courses using instructional methods geared toward the adult learner in a classroom setting.
- Plan lessons and create curriculum to address the learning needs of culturally diverse and multi-skill level students which prepare students to pass the GED exam, enhance basic education skills, and/or earn certificates/credentials.
- Uses lesson plans aligned with CCR Standards that integrate instruction across content areas
- Implement a variety of instructional delivery methods, that include group or individualized instruction as well as computer programs that help students make learning gains.
- Discuss student goals and create an individualized plan toward meeting those goals; evaluate progress and adjust plan as needed. Create a climate that encourages and supports learning.
- Maintain accurate data and student records to ensure required documentation is in folder and updated on a daily basis. Collects and manages accurate data for program improvement and accountability.
- Maintains knowledge of program regulations, policy, and procedures.
- Explain program rules and procedures to students.
- Responsible for effective classroom management that enhances student learning. Maintain classroom discipline; monitor breaks, as needed
- Monitor student attendance and progress as it relates to program policies and procedures.
- Maintain student confidentiality
- Ensure classroom materials are available and relevant to student needs
- Continuously evaluate individual teacher and classroom performance and submit program progress reports as needed
- Actively Participate in program improvement activities/discussions and staff meeting.
- Keep professionally up-to-date in areas of instruction and completes required professional development hours. Attend state meetings/trainings as required
- Participate in recruitment, retention, and follow-up activities.
- Cross train in all programs to be familiar with requirements and to be able to help students reach their goals
- Perform related responsibilities as required or assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree with current Arkansas teaching license
Must obtain Adult Education Endorsement within three years of hire date.
Three to five years of teaching experience