Zone 4 Trades Specialist Lead II - Facilities & Services
West Virginia University, Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services is seeking applicants for a Zone 4 Trades Specialist Lead II.
About the Opportunity
Under the guidance of the Operations Manager, coordinates, participates in, and directs the activities of assigned crews in the performance of various maintenance activities. Provides leadership and guidance in all craft areas to fulfill work requirements within the University under all operating conditions.We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week.
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar).
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave).
- 18 sick days per year.
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof).
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits.
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree. perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs.
Working Hours - Monday - Friday; 7:00am - 3:00pm
Pay Grade: - 15 WVU provides competitive wages for its employees and takes related experience and education into consideration when determining appropriate salary.
What you'll do:
- Function as a team leader, providing guidance to journeymen, maintenance workers, trades workers, apprentices and any other support personnel as required. Ensure work is completed in a timely fashion. Ensure proper quality and quantity standards are met. Inspect completed work assignments of assigned employees to ensure quality control.
- Ensure that proper safety procedures, equipment, and personal protective equipment are utilized by all assigned employees. Maintain safe working conditions and follow all Standard Operating Procedures.
- Communicate work schedules and goals to employees and customer, creating efficiency and a timely completion of assigned tasks.
- Conduct various training relating to; computer software, PPE, proper tool usage, selection and application of various products and materials, and instructs employees about changes in university policies and procedures. Provides training and orientation to new employees.
- Individual will have responsibility to read and review prints on new and existing building projects for repair or construction associated with specific job duties and expertise. Individual will also develop as-built sketches of completed projects.
- Inform Operation Manager of potential performance issues and assists supervisor in disciplinary action.
- Perform tasks and provides leadership in all craft areas relating to maintenance trades. Must be knowledgeable of repair and maintenance procedures associated with the carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and mechanical maintenance trades. Performs tasks in all craft areas relating to maintenance trades.
- High School diploma / GED required.
- 6 months of technical/vocational training plus 2 years' experience in general trades building maintenance experience in the areas of basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or other craft trades OR
2 ½ years' experience in general trades building maintenance experience in the areas of basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, or other craft trades.
- One (1) year experience leading and/or training others.
- Demonstrated ability to function as team leader.
- Demonstrated ability to trouble shoot various equipment and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor apprentice employees.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate the work activities of an assigned crew.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and guidance in multiple craft trades including, but not limited to, carpentry, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, mechanical maintenance, preventive maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure that proper safety procedures, equipment, and personal protective equipment are utilized by all assigned employees.
- Demonstrated ability to inspect job assignments and make recommendations for additional repairs and deferred maintenance items.
- Demonstrated ability to attend meetings and interact with contractors, vendors, engineers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a computer and utilize such programs as Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), email, maintenance management programs, building control systems, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to operate automatic and manual shift vehicles.
- Demonstrated ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Demonstrated ability to work at heights over ten feet.
- Demonstrated ability to hear and interpret sounds in the work area and verbal instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to distinguish colors in the work area.
- Demonstrated ability to lift and carry heavy (50 pounds or over) or awkward objects.
- Valid US driver's license required.
- Physical demands include the ability to:
- Stand, lift, bend, climb, crawl, and walk for extended periods.
- Lift and carry objects over 50 pounds.
- Work at heights exceeding 10 feet.
- Hear and interpret sounds and distinguish colors in the work area.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 14, 2023
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes