Benefits and Leave Coordinator
Division: Human Resources
# of Openings: 1
Position Type: Staff
Type: Regular Full-Time
New York Institute of Technology's six schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs in in-demand disciplines including computer science, data science, and cybersecurity; biology, health professions, and medicine; architecture and design; engineering; IT and digital technologies; management; and energy and sustainability. A nonprofit, independent, private, and nonsectarian institute of higher education founded in 1955, it welcomes nearly 8,000 students worldwide.
The university has campuses in New York City and Long Island, New York; Jonesboro, Arkansas; and Vancouver, British Columbia, as well as programs around the world. More than 112,000 alumni are part of an engaged network of physicians, architects, scientists, engineers, business leaders, digital artists, and healthcare professionals. Together, the university's community of doers, makers, healers, and innovators empowers graduates to change the world, solve 21st-century challenges, and reinvent the future.
For more information, visit nyit.edu.
Reporting to the Director of Benefits and Wellness, the Benefits and Leave Coordinator will be a key member of the HR Benefits team supporting the administration of benefit programs and providing the workforce with benefits information and offerings.
The Benefits team is part of a larger HR team, and the Benefits and Leave Coordinator will serve as the first point of contact for employees with respect to benefits and leave programs in addition to liaising with HR, Payroll, IT, other internal stakeholders, and benefit vendors. Partnering and supporting the Director and Associate Director of Benefits in the administration of employee health and welfare plans, the ideal candidate should have experience in the functional aspect of employee benefit plan and leave administration. As part of this role, the incumbent will perform administrative tasks including daily oversight of the general benefits email and phone line.
The Benefits and Leave Coordinator will:
- Assist the Benefits department with the administration of group benefit programs. including Medical/Vision, Dental, FSA, Life and AD&D, LTD, Retirement - 403(b), etc.
- Manage the process for new hire benefit enrollments, life event changes, and terminations for all employee benefit programs (union and non-unionized employees).
- Manage internal and external relationships by working with employees and vendors to resolve benefit issues regarding claims, eligibility, and plan design and identify concerns or clarify benefit offerings.
- Process short-term and long-term disability claims.
- Administer, interpret, and manage employee-qualified Leave of Absences (FMLA, STD, PFL, etc.), and Worker's Compensation Claims by monitoring and tracking absence status, documentation, and return to work dates.
- Handle COBRA Administration for separated employees and overage dependents.
- Assist with Tuition Remission administration.
- Run reports from HRIS system as required.
- Regularly interact with Director, Associate Director of Benefits, and Payroll regarding employee benefits and deductions.
- Partner with Associate Director of Benefits to conduct New Hire Benefits Orientation.
- Assist with Annual Open Enrollment and wellness initiatives.
- Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits processes.
- Assist with various projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or related field
- Minimum of 1 - 3 years HR experience in benefits administration, including experience with health benefits and retirement plans.
- Understanding of employee benefit plans and insurance terminology.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements affecting employee benefit programs, including COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Worker's Compensation, Retirement, etc.
- Excellent written, oral, presentation skills.
- Experience coordinating Workers Compensation, Disability, and Leave of Absence (LOA) procedures and processes.
- Ability to communicate benefit programs in a clear, and concise way.
- Strong administrative and technical skills with moderate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, and HRIS systems.
- Ability to adapt to new systems.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, make effective decisions in the best interest of the organization and the individual.
- High level of discretion and confidentiality is required.
New York Institute of Technology offers numerous opportunities to enhance personal and professional growth and provides employees with a competitive compensation and benefits program inclusive of generous paid time off, holidays, tuition remission, and retirement plans with employer contributions.
New York Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with local legislation as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, the annual base salary range for this position is listed. New York Tech considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate experience/expertise, education/training, key skills, geographic location, internal peer equity as well as market, organizational considerations and/or applicable collective bargaining agreement when extending an offer.